The making of Warcraft

Home Forums Previous Months 19 – August 2018: Warcraft 2 The making of Warcraft

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• DavidN
    Participant
    Podcaster

A set of articles that I stumbled across some time ago (while searching for screenshots of terrifying DOS4GW errors!) – there’s some interesting stuff here about what could have been.

https://www.codeofhonor.com/blog/the-making-of-warcraft-part-1

https://www.codeofhonor.com/blog/the-making-of-warcraft-part-2

The thing that I find most interesting is just how completely different the aim of the project was compared to the fantasy series that it turned out to be. The second part of the article describes the initial idea had been to release an entire series of war games based on different historical conflicts.

However, they decided that a high fantasy version was the most exciting option to do first – hence the curiously bland first game’s title of “Warcraft: Orcs and Humans”. The others in the series, had it gone ahead as planned, would have been things like “Warcraft: The Roman Empire” or “Warcraft: Vietnam” – what a weird idea to even type out now.

DavidN
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’ve messed up the forum and I’m very sorry

butterburp
    Participant

I wouldn’t be sorry at all – I learned some really interesting things about Warcraft. Thanks for sharing!

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Awesome links, man!

How’s the forum broken? 😮

DavidN
    Participant
    Podcaster

When I open this thread the preview for the first link pops open and obscures the rest of the text! And on the phone it creates a lot of dead space on the right – I’ve no idea.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Preview? Hmmm… I don’t have that?

I’ll investigate though!

Corgibuttz
    Participant
    Podcaster

I can confirm I get the obscuring pop up too. Running Chrome.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Man, that’s super weird. I’ve tried Chrome and Firefox, both logged in & out, but I don’t seem to get it.

Can you maybe post a screenshot? I have no idea what I’m even searching for, haha.

Corgibuttz
    Participant
    Podcaster

I fired off an email to ya w/ a screenshot and some info!

PixelProphecy
    Participant
    Podcaster

There’s also a nice recount in the “bonus chapters” in David Carddock’s “Stay Awhile And Listen” book. I’ll see if I can somehow rip it out of the book and share a link to the text.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 19 – August 2018: Warcraft 2 The making of Warcraft