Tie Fighter

Home Forums Game Suggestions Tie Fighter

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• dergrunepunkt
    Participant

I think I don’t have to talk too much about this one, it’s one of the best Star Wars games ever made.

I remember playing this for hours upon hours, I have no idea how much I played it, but it was a lot. I liked so much that I saved money to get a better joystick with throttle, I got a Microsoft Sidewinder which was a bliss to use:

I remember quite vivdly seeing the open cinematic scene fof the first time, what a blast!. I haven’t played it for a long time, I have a boxed copy now but, for some reason or the other I did not had the time to play it.
    I hope the club selects it to be played in the near future, it would be a good excuse to fire it up again, and enjoy it once again.

Good thing that’s fairly cheap to get in GOG and can be installed in any DOS machine.

Cheers

Pseudo_C
    Participant
    Podcaster

I agree that this is one of the best Star Wars games out there. If we do play this one, it will make eventually going back to X-Wing pretty tough as this on is an improvement in every way! But then again, it may be a great way to see the progression of this series!

dergrunepunkt
    Participant

I thought about posting X-Wing and Tie Fighter, but this is the better game, and since there’s usually only one game per month, having two games of the same genre and not even mention almost the same game, it’s better to invest time on the better game, even when it’s the sequel.

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

They are both classics but I always preferred X-Wing. Part of this is because it’s the tougher of the two by a margin so if you had played through X-Wing first, Tie Fighter was over quite quickly. Shooting TIE’s is just so much more fun as well with them being much harder to hit but requiring fewer shots. Perhaps best of all, X-Wing had the trench run to build up to (not that my PC was actually capable of running it the first time I got there).

Toblakai
    Participant

I have seen X-wing played and was stunned by the 3d space graphics back then. I played X-Wing vs Tie Fighter myself and its campaign Balance of Power. Only reason I own a joystick. But I think this was from the windows 95 era and so beyond the scope of this podcast/forum.

Evil Taco
    Participant

I played the demo of Tie Fighter on my machine and got a lot of enjoyment out of that single mission. I played a little bit of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter at a LAN party ages ago. I also found a copy of X-Wing Alliance at a flea market and fired it up to see if it worked in wine.. but I still haven’t given any of the games in the series a proper go. Despite everything about them being utterly fascinating to me! I really need some motivation! 😀

Canageek
    Participant

I’d favour either of these. I played more Tie Fighter, but they are both great. That said, be careful of the version. I think they re-released x-wing using the tie fighter upgrades, and that made it a much better game. There is an Ancient DOS games video on it, I think, where he talks about the versions.

McKracken
    Participant

I’d also really like to hear a review of this game in one of the upcoming podcasts. Played it so many hours in the mid-90s. Such a great game. Graphics (with the version that offered enhanced textures) were amazing for the time – great soundtrack too.

Unfortunately Lucasarts never made any other space flight sim after Tie Fighter that holds up to it. All current Star-Wars-themed flight simulations focus on multiplayer.

Just heard a few days ago that a remake is is the making:
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/tie-fighter-total-conversion-tftc

gn0me
    Participant

Good call. I sank so much time into this series starting at X-wing. One of my favs for sure. I’d totally be interested in hearing how people feel about this one nowadays.

Canageek
    Participant

Oh, I forgot to note that I played it with THAT SPECIFIC joystick! I think we got it at a garage sale?

ewj
    Participant

I registered to the page just to say I’d like to hear a podcast about Tie Fighter 🙂

One of the best dos games I’ve played as a kid

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Game Suggestions Tie Fighter