Tim's Critique

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Tim is a racing enthusiast and he tried the game for us. Here’s what he said about it:

• Feedback of the car is almost nonexistant, how can you tell if the car is about to spin or not?
    • The curbs slow you down to much, they are part of the track after all

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Yeah, compared to modern standards, GPC isn’t very impressive of course.

But given all the limitations, I think it’s a surprisingly fun game! That’s what it is though, a game. Not a racing simulator.

wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’m curious how the gameplay was received at the time.

Back then such arcade games were already widespread, featuring actual wheels, motorbikes etc. so I’m not sure it was even praised for the quality of the simulation/physics.

The game was fun though so in the end it’s all that matters indeed!

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Yeah, we should find some reviews from back in the day and talk about them in the podcast. That could be somethign we do for every game in the future!

wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

Here we go http://hol.abime.net/2783/review

It would definitely be a good idea to review those during the podcast!

AndriesW
    Participant
    Podcaster

At first it may seem as if spinning or not is a somewhat random event. But it always has to do with high speed / rpm in combination with strong steering action. I think there is consistency in it.
    Once you have reached a high level of GPC racing you will find that spinning is hardly an issue because you don’t really use that driving style anymore. Although the risk is higher at difficulty level 5 compared to level 3 which I am used to.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.