Tips for beginners!

Home Forums Previous Months 15 – April 2018: Starflight Tips for beginners!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Corgibuttz
    Participant
    Podcaster

I think Starflight can be pretty intimidating when you first start, and while I am not a “pro” Starflighter, I do think I can offer some nice tips I’ve learned through playing the game myself.

First, I always suggest printing the map. The game has an in game map, (which I think is an amazing feature for the time) but having a physical map is really handy. Plus it’s super fun to chart your wormholes you discover!

Second, Use your starting money to buy lots of cargo pods. Your early mining won’t really involve any aliens, or certainly any you can’t run away from, so you want to start off w/ lots of cargo space. After that I like to invest in Engines. If memory servers you get better gas millage, so better fuel efficiency is always welcome. After those you’re pretty much ready to go out exploring the near by systems.

3rd Upgrade your crew quickly. It’s not very expensive to max out skills. You’ll need those skills out in the universe. I don’t suggest Androids, as much as you want your own Lt. Commander Data. They can’t be upgraded, so they’re good at the start only. I just avoid them.

4th Talk to the aliens! The game has a very fun emergent story (check back at the space station, keep looking for message updates from Space Command). I’ll whet your appetite… there is an extremely interesting reveal at the end, which I never saw coming! I think you’ll really enjoy it.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Haha I just made it to the end of the Heroes and Might and Magic pod cast, thanks for mentioning me! Looking forward to the discussion! I’d gladly join the chat if you’ll have me!

Corgibuttz
    Participant
    Podcaster

Oh, yeah, the most important tip!

Keep a notepad right next to you, and record every single thing the aliens say!

Ah, one more tip because this is just pretty frustrating, and will waste some brain power if you don’t know.

There is an alien race which will give you a series of number in binary. I spent a long time analyzing the numbers and trying to fit them into a contextual way they mean something. They are actually an old telephone number, I believe to the studios head quarters. They have no meaning in game, don’t waste your time trying to figure out what they mean. In the Sega Genesis version, they were changed to clues to hidden items on planets. I don’t want to spoil anything, but I have a feeling we’re all adults w/ limited spare time, no need to waste brain power on a “puzzle” which has no relevancy to the in game stuff.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 15 – April 2018: Starflight Tips for beginners!