Tips & Tricks

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

UFO: Enemy Unknown and the later X-Com installments are complex games that can be a bit punishing from time to time. As we only have a month to play it, let’s share some tips & tricks to make it easier on potential newcomers.

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

Depending on the version you play the game has a difficulty bug which would reset it to easiest if you load the game during the tactical part. This would later result in Microprose upping the difficulty in the sequel to astronomical level because people were complaining that the game was too easy. I don’t know if there is an easy way to check if the version is buggy or not but I believe it was fixed in the GOG/Steam versions.

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

Laser Rifle is the weapon to go. It has unlimited ammunition, its quite precise and very fast. Most of the enemies can be one or two shot with it. You can use all of the plasma weapons as a source of income or just as a fun addition to the arsenal.

sirskid
    Participant

I suggest running x-com with openxcom installed.It improves the UI and fixes any bugs no matter what version you are playing.
    some tips
    Become an arms dealer! selling weapons is a great way to in income. Start when you can produce laser rifles.

At the beginning of the game sack any soldiers with low stats and replace them.

Rename your soldiers and include info about their strengths for an easy reminder. Example ..Bob Smith sniper. Mary Jane grenadier. Nick Jones scout.

If a building or wall is in your way just blow it up! Walking around every obstacle will get you killed and make the battles take forever.

If your having trouble finding that last alien or two on the map keep hitting end turn. Eventually they will get impatient and come after you. Set up an ambush!

Watch the geoscape closely. If you keep track of where alien supply ships are landing there is probably an alien base there. Instead of attacking right away focus on shooting down the ufos in transit for a good source of supplies.

Srandista
    Participant
    Podcaster

I have to correct yozy on that difficulty bug fix. Game is fixed ONLY in GOG version, not in Steam version.

Here are MD5 hashes for GEOSCAPE.EXE, which contains the bug:

GOG (fixed) – EC31EDCA56BC8AF5A32ECEE5F08471EB
    Steam (bugged) – 33EA0819E6888F0450F9A1E5E19DC98B

File is located in you game directory, under UFOEXE subdir.

GOG version is therefore way to go (as it always is, since it’s DRM free 😛 ).

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

OpenXCom has a mod, I think enabled by default but not sure, that will auto display stats next to your soldier’s name. There is a “standardized” way of naming soldiers.

Srandista
    Participant
    Podcaster

But but… OpenXcom isn’t for DOS 😉

Mgoddard
    Participant
    Podcaster

ALWAYS keep the crouch lock on to leave you enough action points to crouch at the end of your turn. It makes a big difference and you can always turn it off if you need those last few precious actions to look around….

When you are up against some of the larger UFO’s that land (not crashed) I would always nuke a hole in the top and fly some soldiers in. Easier than fighting your way though all the levels of the ship.

willbobsled
    Participant

I remember copying the files from my cousin’s PC (the intro animation was the only file too big for a single floppy disk) but haven’t played the DOS version since the 90’s. OpenXcom is better in literally every way, but I agree that the gimmick of reviewing DOS games is lost if any other version is played, and the bugs and glitches present in the original are part of the quirkiness of the game, whether intended by the developer or not.

Tips:
    1. Laser Rifles are indeed the way to go, unless you’re fighting Psionic attacks. Mind Controlled Soldiers are unable to use Stun Rods.
    2. Laser Cannons can be manufactured and sold for the greatest monthly profit.
    3. Researching The Martian Solution triggers an Alien Retaliation mission at the beginning of every subsequent month, so don’t research it until you’re prepared for Base Defence missions. And don’t interrogate a Commander until after The Martian Solution is finished.

Hope that wasn’t too spoilery… Looking forward to this episode!

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Thanks for these suggestions, it’s really helpful. I feel like I could enjoy this game, but I’m totally new to it and I have absolutely no idea how any of it works. There’s no tutorial in the game, so it’s a bit difficult to get into. All tips are appreciated!

I also found this helpful video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfICiJzmPYA

Canageek
    Participant

Hey, there is a really useful site for X-COM that covers all the games, from the 90s to today. https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/X-COM is the link to the details on the original.

Canageek
    Participant

Tips: Drop a smoke grenade first turn right outside your plane.

Don’t move first turn: Every alien hasn’t moved yet, and thus can do lots of reaction shots.

Evil Taco
    Participant

Ohhh, that reaction shot thing, that explains alot. After 24 years or so after first playing the game, I just now started using the smoke grenades when playing for the club, and it makes such a difference. And makes so much sense.

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

When there are “large” ufos flying around and landing, there is almost always an alien base there. Send out a plane next to the spot where the ufo landed and stay there patrolling for a while.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.