Tournament Rules

Home Forums Previous Months 36 – January 2020: Worms Tournament Tournament Rules

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

So, it seems like we have 11 players.
    I suggest we use the following rules:

There will be two rounds. First a qualification round to get the number of players to something more suitable for a KO system, then KO finals.

Since we are relatively few players, we can go for a single qualification group with all of us in there. Every player will have to play against every other player.

To keep it simple and to account for people potentially dropping out or not being able to play (we found out that great distances between players will not work great with the game’s implementation because of lag making it basically unplayable), we will go for a simple win-to-loss-ratio to pick the best 8 players to join the KO round.

The rules for each match are:

1. Use default rule settings unless both players agree to change them.

This way there won’t be any diputes about rules but if both players want something changed, who are we to prohibit that!

2. Play a best out of three match (i.e., you need to win two rounds to win the match).

For the finals we might go for best out of five, but keep in mind that you’ll have to play 10 games in the qualification. Let’s keep it manageable!

3. Arrange for the match with your opponent on your own.

We can’t possible know who will have time when. Please get in contact with your opponent here on the forum or on our IRC channel (it’s free and no registration is needed). If neither of you have a public IPv4 address (which is needed for DOSBox’ IPX tunnelling), we can help you with that and provide a standalone tunnelling server. In that case, please contact me (rnlf) directly, preferrably on IRC).

4. Post the result of your match in a thread on the qualification round sub-forum.

Just name the thread [player 1 name] vs. [player 2 name] so I can easily find the results. You can also use these threads to prepare the match.

5. Post all your results until Sunday, January 26.

This should give us enough time to do the finals, even if it means we have to take a few days out of February.

6. If you haven’t gotten into contact with any of your opponents until Thursday, contact me (rnlf).

I’ll see what to do. If the other player doesn’t respond to any other players, we’ll have to take them out of the tournament. If it seems like they’re just trying to avoid a strong opponent, we’ll count it as a defeat for them.

7. Have fun!

This is purely for fun, I don’t think anyone will feel the need to cheat or show any other signs of toxic behaviour, but people who do will be banned.

It would be pretty cool if one of you could record the match for others to enjoy, but this is voluntary.

sorceress
    Participant

it might be better to compute wilson bounds than win:loss ratio.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I have no idea what that means.

sorceress
    Participant

it is explained here — https://www.evanmiller.org/how-not-to-sort-by-average-rating.html

basically, a small number of games played by a person would give a less confident estimate of their skill, than a large number of games played by that person.

Ratio’s don’t factor that in. For example, a player with 100 wins and 2 losses gives a ratio of 50. While another player with 1 win and 0 losses gives a ratio of infinity. And from ratios, we are supposed to believe the second player has higher skill.

the link includes an excel example. equating win/loss with up-vote/down-vote.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I fully expect everyone to play all 9 matches though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 36 – January 2020: Worms Tournament Tournament Rules