Tunnels of Armageddon (1989)

Home Forums Game Suggestions Tunnels of Armageddon (1989)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

• patrick_wd
    Participant

Before we got our first DOS machine in 1993, we had an Apple IIGS. The system had a very weak 2.8 Mhz CPU, and no advanced blitter, so most games were static and sluggish. One game, however, stood apart from the rest and felt like it shouldn’t have even been possible on the machine…

Tunnels of Armageddon is a 3D tunnel runner style game released in 1989 by California Dreams, first for the IIGS then later ported to the Amiga and DOS. It makes clever use of palette cycling and rectangular geometry to create a convincing and smooth feeling of motion. It’s also uses an almost WASD-like keyboard-and-mouse style of control that feels very ahead of its time.

While I’m partial to the IIGS original that I played back when, the DOS version is actually quite good and very faithful, retaining the same smooth framerate that was rather unheard of for 3D computer games at the time. Interestingly, it uses the OPL2 mostly for sound effects instead of music.

Beyond the technical aspects though, the gamefeel is just really good. The flight controls are smooth and intuitive, the ship has friction and bounces off of obstacles, and the small array of powerups and powerdowns keep things interesting enough for the game’s modest length. The game was an early exemplar of what 3D action games could be going forward and I think is worth a look for anyone into the retro scene.

I’m curious what others might think of this game and seeing the high scores and best times people can rack up. I’m also more than willing to guest host for it if it gets picked.

Here’s a small sample of someone playing the DOS version

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Game Suggestions Tunnels of Armageddon (1989)