Videos

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

One aspect that’s really unique in C&C are the cutscenes, using live-action actors in full motion videos.

This stuff was way more impressive in 1995 than it is now. There was no Divx or H.264 yet, so getting these videos to fit onto a CD-ROM and making sure they would play back properly on the 486 and Pentium chips of the day required a real effort.

Of course, the actors aren’t exactly Hollywood-class. But I think they still work nicely to set the mood. Back when I was 12, they made a huge impression on me. And how can’t they? I mean, check this out 😀

https://youtu.be/bImKihXUU6A?t=18m31s

wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

Those cutscenes really helped with the immersion! I think those really gave life to the story, while providing a sense of progression through the game.

Even as a kid I found them quite cheap, but they still had some kind of charm and an instantly recognizable style, with those huge logos clearly classifying you as good/evil and the white noise at the end.

As I finished the GDI campaign and inserted CD2 in the player I really felt like I was giving up to the Dark Side of the Force or something 😛

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

They kinda don’t look real. Almost like cartoons, but not really. I wonder if it’s because of the reduction to 256 colors and maybe their compression didn’t work well with dithering?

starquake
    Participant

No I think it’s the cheesy acting… 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.