We're going to need a bigger boat….

Home Forums Current Month: Blood We're going to need a bigger boat….

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  dr_st 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Kazashi
    Participant

Almost by co-incidence I have been playing through Blood during the past week or so.

There is a reason, not just because of DOS Game Club but because of the latest release of NBlood. This is an EDuke32-based port of the original game, and for people who may have issues with DOSBox or obtaining suitable hardware I have found it to be an excellent option.

I was one of those who originally played Blood back in the day as a brand new game that someone *ahem* managed to obtain. BloodBath was extremely popular at our LAN parties, and while not necessarily my favourite of the BUILD games, I definitely find a lot to appreciate about Blood, even in this latest playthrough.

I might post some more thoughts after a bit more playtime.

Tijn
    Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Ah, that’s a good option! I’ve heard of some people who were struggling to get it working correctly with Dosbox, so maybe NBlood is a good option for them 🙂

Kazashi
    Participant

If anyone is also interested in trying NBlood:

https://nukeykt.retrohost.net/

Has links to a Win64 binary and source code on GitHub.

M2tias
    Participant

I need to try NBlood. I’m not sure if Blood is actually that fast of a game or if dosbox is running it too fast :/

Kazashi
    Participant

I have no idea how fast it is running for you in DOSBox, but IMO compared to other BUILD games it feels faster and harder.

On that topic: enemies feel smarter and more aggressive, which I think is mostly achieved by having them chase you down promptly. Their weapons also bite; cultists carry the same kinds of weapon you do (i.e. shotgun, tommy gun, dynamite), and some monsters combine ranged and melee attacks.

dr_st
    Participant

There’s also BloodCM which took a slightly different approach to NBlood; dunno if there is a point to it now that NBlood is out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Current Month: Blood We're going to need a bigger boat….