What version and/or games are you playing?

Home Forums Previous Months 64 – December 2021: Space Quest What version and/or games are you playing?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Shattered
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’ve been super excited to play Space Quest. I assume the episode will mainly cover Space Quest 1, but even then you have some options. You can play the original 1986 release in 16 color EGA graphics and keyboard controls, or the VGA 1991 remake with mouse!

Isn’t it crazy to think of getting a massive remake for a game only 5 years later? Even Mass Effect had to wait almost 15 years.

I’m also a huge fan of the rest of the series. I’ve played through them all multiple times but it’s been a very long time since I last revisited this beloved series. Just curious if anyone else is going to play any of the sequels?

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I think I’ve played all of the games in this series, including all different versions, but I don’t think I’ve ever completed a single one of them haha

I’ll definitely be starting out with the 1986 original. I kinda know what the VGA remakes are like, so I think I’ll just try to play as many originals as I can manage this month.

Very excited to finally get to the end with these! And also looking forward to finally getting the jokes, because as a kid who barely knew any English, most of them went straight over my head haha

lmfsilva
    Participant

I usually skip the SCI VGA remakes because it’s a bit weird to play the first in VGA, then play the sequel(s) back in EGA or early VGA until they were contemporary with the remakes. Always felt a bit weird how Space Quest and Larry 2 and 3, QfG and Police Quest 2 and who knows how many Kings Quest games have this weird jump you’re supposed to ignore.
    Plus, I generally prefer the pixel art of earlier games, and some of the older games seem more unstable and prone to crashing, but that’s just me.

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

My plan is to try and get through the whole series, remakes and all. I pretty much grew up on Sierra games and I’ve played SQ 1-6 numerous times before. It’s been a few years but knowing all the puzzles, SQ1 wouldn’t exactly keep me going for the whole month. What I haven’t ever done is play any of the fan games so the idea is to go through everything at https://www.spacequest.net/misc/fanfiction/fangames/ + the main games in chronological order. I started early and have finished SQ -1 and SQ 0 so far, both of which were way better than your typical fan game, especially SQ0 which used the AGI engine – that could practically have been an official game.

Mike
    Participant
    Podcaster

What, no one is going to play the black and white Macintosh version?

https://www.mobygames.com/game/macintosh/space-quest-chapter-i-the-sarien-encounter/screenshots

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

It’s not Mac Game Club, Mike

Shattered
    Participant
    Podcaster

@Pix Wow, thank you so much for linking that fan game site. I had no idea there was a VGA remake of SQ2. I’m pretty sure I’m going to need to play that this month as well.

@lmfsilva
    speaking of remakes, you mentioned King’s Quest and I wanted to let you know there’s some AMAZING VGA remakes of 1, 2, and 3 at AGD Interactive I played through the entire series this year and KQ4 was the only one I felt looked pretty old.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

I played the VGA version years ago, so I’ve decided to go back and play the original AGI EGA version this time.
    I might go on to play more in the series, but not sure if I’ll have much time for that this month…

watchful
    Participant

VGA for now. EGA is both hard to look at and the text interpreters are maddening.

Does anyone know if there is any version with cloud saves?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 64 – December 2021: Space Quest What version and/or games are you playing?