What's this month about?

Home Forums Previous Months 51 – December 2020: Skiing Games What's this month about?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

We figured it would be fun to do another round of smaller games for December this year. And what’s more suitable for winter than some skiing fun in the snow!

So the idea is to play games that feature skiing. There are loads of these, for example:

– Ski or Die
    – Winter Games
    – Super Ski (aka Downhill Challenge)
    – Ski Free (yes there’s a DOS version!)

There are no doubt many more. If you know of a skiing game for DOS, open a thread and let us know!

evilcommiedictator
    Participant
    Podcaster

With a quick bit of research, not to distract from the amazing Winter Games, Ski or Die and Ski Free, there are also:

Skiing (1986) – basic Ascii
    Ski King (1996) – Ski Free clone
    Tree Masacre (1988) – Ski Free clone 😉
    Deluxe Ski Jump (2000) – ski jumping
    Downhill Challenge (1989) – Downhill

Olympics-style games
    SuperSki III (1994)
    Winter Olympics: Lillehammer ’94 (1993)
    Winter Challenge: World Class Competition (1988)
    The Games: Winter Challenge (1991)

The last one I have good memories of playing, and I think a lot of the mini-game style games you find the one you’re good at and play the heck out of it!

dollarone
    Participant
    Podcaster

+1 for Deluxe Ski Jump – played that a lot at school!

Also Epyx’ WINTER GAMES which I played a lot and remember with a vengeance!

Joris
    Participant

There’s a sequel to Ski King which is surprisingly named Ski King 2. It has some upgraded graphics compared to version 1, but the rest of the game is mainly the same.

The other game I came across is Ski Jump International. I think it’s a nice addition to the list, because it’s not the typical downhill game like the Ski Free clones.

Speaking about Ski Free: do you know where I can get the DOS version of Ski Free, Tijn? All I can find is the ski32.exe version, which only runs on Windows.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I guess Wikipedia is lying 🙁 It says there it was released for both Windows and DOS, which got me excited.

https://ski.ihoc.net/ this seems to be the best resource there is for Ski Free, as this website is made by the same guy who made Ski Free. They offer two versions there: the 32-bit latest version (which requires Windows 95 and up) and the original 16-bit version (which runs in Windows 3.x).

But none of these run in plain DOS, as Wikipedia is implying ;(

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Hi! I just recently found out about this forum/podcast and it’s totally up my alley! (I was hoping there would be an newbies introduction section to the forum, but I guess it’s not that kind of message board)

Anyway, I really hope to get involved here regularly. (I have 3 vintage PCs and in the process of building 2 more – more details for anyone who’s interested!)

So I’m just wondering about this month’s topic. Firstly, is the idea just to play the three skiing themed games Tijn has made topics about (winter games, downhill challenge and ski or die), or just to find as many of my own as I can and play those?
    Also, is there an “official” source people get their copies from, or is it just a matter of sourcing it from wherever?

Thanks for the info!

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Welcome to the club, TigerQuoll!

The list I made is just to get people started. Any game you can find is more than welcome! I think it’s probably best to open a thread per game, so we can discuss them in a somewhat organised way.

People get their games from all over the place. Sometimes games have been released as freeware or are for sale on gog.com or other such sites. Sometimes people still have their old copies from back in the day, or buy boxed games from eBay for their collection. Sometimes the sources are some vague abandonware website, which is totally fine but we appreciate if people keep the links to themselves haha

Looking forward to your contributions!

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Great, thanks for the info.
    Looking forward to playing some skiing games since there’s not much chance of any real skiing where I live!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 51 – December 2020: Skiing Games What's this month about?