Winter Games (1986, Epyx)

Home Forums Previous Months 51 – December 2020: Skiing Games Winter Games (1986, Epyx)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Ok, I just played a bunch of Winter Games (the CGA one from 1986 by Epyx).

Despite the CGA graphics it really feels wintery and I don’t think it looks all that bad to be honest. This game is a collection of mini-games, all pretty arcade-focused and not easy at all.

The only event I was somewhat successful at was the biathlon, which combines cross-country skiing with shooting. Amazingly the shooting especially is not as hard as one might think and it’s reasonably doable to get 100% accuracy.

The other events are just impossible though haha. Especially the ski jumping stuff. Actually managing to land on your feet is in itself a remarkable feat, let alone also getting a good score.

frozograbbins
    Participant

This one looks particularly interesting to me. I’m having trouble finding the keyboard controls for this game, do you happen to have them handy? Thanks!

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Yeah, the controls aren’t very intuitive, especially for the ski jumping events. I’ve found the Commodore 64 manual, which seems largely compatible with the DOS version too: https://archive.org/details/Winter_Games_1985_Epyx

It includes instructions on how to play each of the events, which helps a lot 🙂

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

There’s a version of this floating about called “Quader’s release”.
    It seems to be just the same thing but bundled with DOSBox, and probably some tweaks to get it working well.
    Can anybody confirm this? Or are there other differences?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 51 – December 2020: Skiing Games Winter Games (1986, Epyx)