Winter Olympics: Lillehammer 94 (1993, US Gold)

Home Forums Previous Months 51 – December 2020: Skiing Games Winter Olympics: Lillehammer 94 (1993, US Gold)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I guess this is the official game for the Lillehammer 94 winter olympics? Or maybe just using its name? I don’t know, but it’s honestly pretty terrible. The menu is awfully confusing and the game itself feels slapped together. Although it’s somewhat fancy in terms of graphics, it doesn’t look good at all.

It’s kind of shocking how it pales in comparison to The Games: Winter Challenge, which was released 2 years earlier, but is endlessly more fun and better looking too.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Exactly my thoughts. Just such a weird combination of some really good graphics and presentation with terrible choices and bad gameplay.
    The menus are incredibly tedious, having to wait for the little girl to press the button on the remote control etc.

Was it just me, or did the combination of the low camera angle and huge character sprite in some of the events make it really hard to actually see the course and what is in front of you?

Anyway, I’ve only played a little bit of this game. In the spirit of fairness I think I’ll revisit it and give it a bit more of a chance.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

OK, nope. Just gave this game another decent shot, and it’s pretty disappointing for 1994. You see the actually quite nice graphics and then expect something good, and it turns out to be worse from a technical and gameplay perspective than Winter Challenge from 2 or 3 years earlier.

The downhill games all use exactly the same controls and physics (winter challenge changes slightly depending on the event), and the engine is really very basic.
    No curves or dips or bowls or much in the way topography in the terrain like Winter Challenge has – just like a slightly wavy ribbon you have to ski down.

And then the skier with his tight buttocks are taking up too much of the screen, especially given the low angle, and it was way too hard to see the oncoming flags.

The tournament mode feels undercooked after playing Winter Challenge, the controls in all of the events feel flat and unsatisfying, and the menus are horrible to navigate.

The only good thing about it is the 3D graphics in the luge/bobsled events, but even there it could have been better for 1994.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Haha, good man for trying!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 51 – December 2020: Skiing Games Winter Olympics: Lillehammer 94 (1993, US Gold)