DOS Game Club 5 Year Anniversary

Home Forums DOS Talk DOS Game Club 5 Year Anniversary

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Heya!

In March, our beloved game club will turn 5 years old. I think we should have a big (online) party and make a special episode about it.

I suggest we do all kinds of games and events during that party. So if you want to contribute some sort of event, let me know!

For our first anniversary, derphilipp prepared a quiz and I think that was pretty cool. I’d like to prepare that for us for this year, so that’s already taken 😉

timewind
    Participant

What about Doom/Duke 3d/Blood online sessions or even small tournament through the emulation of null modem and IPX\network gaming over networks in eXoDOS project? I still have to try multiplayer by myself but some other people use it regulary with various games.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

None of those games work very well with Internet-like latencies. We tried. Lag really kills all of these games. We’ve also tried playing live on an episode before, it wasn’t the best idea we’ve ever had 😉

timewind
    Participant

Hmm I’m bit surprised. There are certainly people who play those games regularly. There’s even a Discord community called DOSBox Deathmatch Club centered around DOSBox games in multiplayer:
    Discord link

tamsin.lm
    Participant

Turn based strategy games like MOO2 or Heroes of Might and Magic play ok online!

Psy
    Participant

Also, there are a lot of games that can be played simultaneously or in turns on the same screen (sports games like Beach Volley or World Games the ones that came to my mind), in this case something like Parsec can be used to share the screen and the controls.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Yeah, but the thing is, it doesn’t really work to play and record a podcast at the same time. Please check out the Scorched Earth episode to see what I mean 😉

Psy
    Participant

Oh, I forgot about the “record a podcast” part. Then yeah, probably a gameplay is not going to translate well.
    Another idea: what about if members of the club purpose a DOS game that for some reason has a special meaning (was the first game, or the only game they had for a while), better if it is an obscure game. You can read the message and discuss.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums DOS Talk DOS Game Club 5 Year Anniversary