20 years for one ending screen

Home Forums Previous Months 13 – February 2018: Transarctica 20 years for one ending screen

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• evilteuton
    Participant
    Podcaster

Hello everyone!

sorceress invited me to discuss Transarctica with you. I’d like to make another thread about some background, lore, and trivia. This is my personal story with the game, a pretty good one I think.

My first ever playthrough of Transarctica started when I was maybe 7-8 years old. Or rather, my dad played it and I watched. We got stuck at the power plant mission and since this was pre-internet, never figured it out. When I was around 16 I remembered Transarctica and gave it another go, this time convinced I would find a walkthrough somewhere. There wasn’t. There was no information on this game. The power plant stopped me in my tracks.

Fast forward again, 24 years old, now doing Let’s Plays as a hobby. The first LP I uploaded was on my German channel in 2012-2013. It had 43 episodes and contained pretty much everything. Every game over screen, every town, every ragequit, every bug. What you currently see on Youtube is a reupload from late 2014 when I decided to make a more streamlined walkthrough in English because the original LP had gained a small cult following itself, but it was only in German. There were no other videos about Transarctica at the time. Why I deleted so much of my old stuff is another story. There are now two longplays and a “getting started” video by other people. There is also a small fan remake in the works somewhere but it seems they couldn’t get enough traction.

When I FINALLY figured out how to destroy the power plant, fought the final boss, saw the ending and outro, and were able to record it all, it just felt really really good. It was a big deal for me, personally. I immediately sent the videos to my dad.

Now at almost 30, sorceress invited me to discuss the game with you. I can now put “Leading Transarctica Expert on Youtube” on my resume and retire, lol.

So there you go. The game I couldn’t beat for almost 20 years just to see one (albeit gorgeous) short ending animation. Best of all, the power plant “puzzle” turned out to be nothing but pure pixel hunting.

Hopefully some of you can get lost in the art style, music, and world as well. I can even tell you what pixel to click when the time comes.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Haha, this is a great story! I’m glad you’ve joined us to share this with us.

Can you link your YouTube videos please? I bet everyone would love to see them!

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I hope it won’t take us twenty years to finish it as well 😀

Actually, we have about 20 days left, so we must be 365 times as efficient :-p

mmickyman
    Participant

Hi evilteuton, happy to cross your path here! Thanks to your videos at the time I watched for the first time the end of Transarctica.

I have a similar story of ‘not-finding anything about that game on the internet’ each couple years of nostalgia-driven hunting information about it.

There was a second goldmine for me, discovering the fan website http://inhocsignovinces.free.fr/index-en.html

Happy to follow this month of DOS Game Club.

evilteuton
    Participant
    Podcaster

That’s great to hear. I was just about to make a “Known Bugs” thread but the fan website you linked has it all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 13 – February 2018: Transarctica 20 years for one ending screen