Best Way to Play it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Mike
    Participant
    Podcaster

I noticed that there’s two versions on Steam, the original version and a 2015 edition. As far as I can tell, the original is the one I should do?

EDIT: Actually I just looked on GOG and it turns out I own the 2010 version. So there’s actually 3 versions of this game out there. I’m assuming I own the worst version and should just go back and play the original since I remember that being pretty great, but it’s interesting to me that so many versions of this game exist.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

My answer to the question “best way to play it?” is – Hold Down The Fire Button and Kill Everything In Sight 😉

Psy
    Participant

There is a “classic 1994” version on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/358360/Raptor_Call_of_the_Shadows_1994_Classic_Edition/ , that seems to be a Dosbox bundle, based on the comments.
    One comment even provides a fix for the mouse controls, that was a very interesting feature of the game.
    Speaking of comments, there is a very detailed 1000+ words one that has a ton of information. There is also a 1 word one that reads “good”. Both seems accurate 😀

watchful
    Participant

There is also this reverse-engineered source port, if you happen to have the v1.2 version of the game for DOS.

EDIT: I got this port compiled for Windows. In case anyone else wants try it see the attached build archive. It can work with the v1.2 shareware or full release. See the project page for how to configure it.

watchful
    Participant

So it would seem there is no tate/vertical mode, and even the GOG port’s higher resolution doesn’t show any more screen space. Unless I’m missing something.

Apparently the original creator also has a Patreon, though again I don’t see mention of vertical mode.

If anyone knows more please help. This game is hard.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

I feel like the enemies and levels were hard-coded with exactly one screen size in mind.
    If you tried to increase your screen space or implement a vertical mode you would probably have enemies popping up out of nowhere where they’re programmed to appear.

I’m not 100% about this, but that’s just how it seems to me while playing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.