DLC Release on May 31

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Shattered
    Participant
    Podcaster

Wow, I am super excited to play some “Relentless” as it was called in the US. I know the original gameplay “tank controls” haven’t aged very well, but this has to be one of my childhood favorites, it even has a poster up on the wall in my office.

I was going to start early in hopes of knocking out both this game and its beloved sequel, but I noticed that there’s something planned for May 31 on the developer’s website.
    Twinsens Little Big Adventure

Is this a coincidence that we’re playing this immediately after a release? Or a fortuitous sign? Or did you all see that and think it would be a good timing to play it?

Mgoddard
    Participant
    Podcaster

I always found this game difficult…. even with a walkthrough telling you where to go.

haytada
    Participant

Oh tell me about it, this was a game that I grew up having in the house but never ever playing it. Point and click adventure games were my thing so this seemed to have some promise but the introduction of fighting, sneaking and other “physical” mechanics put me off it right away and I found it so stressful. I have to agree that the game was just hard, overall confusing.

f2bnp
    Participant

2.21 which is made up of people that seem passionate about the original games and also people that worked on them, acquired the source code for both games and open-sourced them a while ago. They are working on a remake/re-imagining/reboot of the original game but I guess in the meantime they decided to work on new releases for the two games that have been out for years now. I think it’s pretty cool, they’re adding some sweet quality of life features there plus they’re native Windows ports (unsure if they released on other platforms as well).

LBA 1 already had a port on mobile platforms that found its way to PCs as well, but it was iffy to say the least. If you had a controller to play it with it wasn’t that bad of a version though. The new release adds the original keyboard controls back in, New Game+ mode, ability to interact with objects in other modes and maintains the option not to take damage when hitting walls. I played it a little bit and found it adequate, though I managed to get hit from walls more often than I’d like to (which is never, honestly :-p), so I guess that’s a bit buggy. My other gripe has to do with scaling options, it’s just completely barebones as is. Pretty decent overall and definitely an upgrade over the previous version.

LBA 2’s original DOS version was packaged with DOSBox and shipped in digital storefronts for some years now. New release is pretty awesome, revamped controls for controllers, New Game+ and a new camera for outdoor 3D areas in which it updates automatically and follows Twinsen around. This has a profoundly transformative effect on the game. My gripes are once again the barebones nature of the display and scaling options otherwise plus some visual issues that creep up with the new camera. Hopefully they don’t leave it as is and new features will be added, but this is already very impressive.

taxalot
    Participant

I have been playing it a tiny bit yesterday. Made it out the prison and recovered the Tunic.

It’s funny, but I’m not sure this game aged well at all. Having to do redo the “escape from prison” scene countlesses time because of minor timing issues, even when you made it as far as your own home doesn’t constitute my idea of fun.

Still, I will keep on playing because I seem to remember from my days of playing this as a kid that it DOES improve as you play, with the game becoming more open ended and you being able to explore more freely.

I failed to finish the game back then, let’s see how far I go this time.

f2bnp
    Participant

It does indeed get more open as you progress, but never any easier I might say. You do become accustomed to its madness I suppose :P.

LBA 2 is a far better designed and less cruel if you wish to try that as well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.