Dungeon Keeper

Home Forums Game Suggestions Accepted Suggestions Dungeon Keeper

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

Despite being a great fan of “Black & White”, I barely tried this classic. Having it as a DGC game would be a great chance to discover more from the golden age of Peter Molyneux 🙂

This is a 1997 game, so it’s more from the late DOS era.

Otherwise the Bullfrog catalog in general has a lot of potential candidates like Theme Park or Populous II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlnRUE14ozA

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Haha, I know a certain DGC host who’s not a big Peter Molyneux fan 😀

I would gladly try Dungeon Keeper! We’d need to push it a bit to later though since we have just finished a strategy game.

UNDELETE
    Participant

Dungeon Keeper would be a fantastic choice. The whole idea of playing the ‘bad guy’ rather than the hero is brilliant. It mixes simulation elements (managing a lair) with real-time combat more akin to RTS games. The sound is moody and mischievous. The humour is great. And it even features a first person mode in which you possess your minions. It would make a great subject for discussion and it holds up very well today.

I’m attaching a gif of the visuals.

Attachments:

f2bnp
    Participant

I too think Dungeon Keeper is very easy to get into even today. Both this and Theme Hospital, released in 1997, had easily understood mechanics and thanks to tutorials (!) during the first couple of levels or whenever a new feature was introduced, I feel like they are very approachable.

Also, both are supremely fun games!

dollarone
    Participant
    Podcaster

+1 for Dungeon Keeper – dark, muddy, a bit faffy, but a great game!

Canageek
    Participant

I picked this up on GoG a few years ago, enjoyed the first few missions and then failed at the later ones due to the UI. Would love another crack at it with the forums to help me out ^^

UNDELETE
    Participant

Just giving this one a bump so that it doesn’t get forgotten. We have 6 suggestions so far from separate members. It’s not just another strategy game or another Bullfrog game – in this one it turns the usual plot upside down – you play the bad guy and your progress is marked by steadily destroying the world map. The humour is wonderful.

fastwinstondoom
    Participant

This was my “forever game” back when I was a young lad in the late 90’s, I just never grew tired of playing it. Played through it several times since then, would love to hear an in depth discussion about, in my biased opinion, Bullfrog’s greatest game!

aamiralavi
    Participant

Like many Bullfrog titles – the sequel was the more polished version with more streamlined UIs and gameplay mechanics – would recommend DK2 as a result.

But echo what everyone is saying – this remains fun and accessible even now

Frenzal
    Participant

Both of the DK games are novel, not many similar games.

Whilst I agree with DK2 being a better game I think it would be awesome to play these games in order, just so that it’s easier to comment on the improvements/differences.

I’ve played A LOT of DK2 and a bunch of multiplayer with my sister, but it would be fun to play the original again as i’m not sure I remember it much.

fastwinstondoom
    Participant

DK2 is only for windows sadly, so not really within the purview of the podcast. Though I agree, when I go back to play Dungeon Keeper these days it usually ends up being DK2.

UNDELETE
    Participant

I can’t agree about DK2 – I guess I never played it when I was young, so didn’t ever get into it, but going back to both of them now, DK2 just feels annoyingly clunky and 3D for the sake of 3D. Whereas DK feels just right – I think they lost what was special in the sequel. But it’s good to hear that others love DK2 – perhaps I should persevere and I’ll grow to enjoy it

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Accepted Suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Home Forums Game Suggestions Accepted Suggestions Dungeon Keeper