Ecstatica

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Garrett
    Participant

This is a little-know action-adventure survival game developed by British team Andrew Spencer Studios and released by Psygnosis in 1994.

Ecstatica is clearly inspired by Alone in the Dark series but is definitely not a clone. Aesthetically, the game uses ellipsoids instead of polygons which results in a unique feel and look. To my knowledge, this is the first game which uses this method. Ecstatica is a creepy game in a unique way; the atmosphere, the monsters (which used to be village animals), and the sound. It’s strange and very very difficult and certainly not without flaws.

I think that this game has enough content for an episode of Dos Game Club. I end this post by a quote from Wikipedia:

Computer Gaming World nominated Ecstatica as its 1994 “Adventure of the Year”, although it lost to Relentless: Twinsen’s Adventure. The editors praised wrote of Ecstatica, “The offbeat characters and unusual storyline mesh with the racy humor to form an adventure of a different feather.”

pushblock
    Participant

I saw this game in magazines back in the day and always wanted to play it.
    The aesthetics were really appealing too me, but I know nothing about the game.

I wonder if it holds up today 🙂

Is it available through any online store nowadays?

Corgibuttz
    Participant
    Podcaster

I suggested this game sometime last year! It’s awesome! I think I got it when I was about 14 or so. I loved it, it really spooked me and gave me a lot of jumps when the monsters pounced on me.

As far as I know you can’t buy it. I downloaded it from Myabandonware.com

Garrett
    Participant

To my knowledge, the game is an abandonware. You can get it from here

https://www.abandonwaredos.com/abandonware-game.php?abandonware=Ecstatica&gid=2152

I doubt if the game holds up well really. But, there was something about the atmosphere and the monsters that is hard to forget.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I think this could make a great October game. You know, for halloween and stuff, with all the demons. It is pretty scary, right?

f2bnp
    Participant

Love this game! I never managed to beat it, but it had a great atmosphere and very fucked up visuals at points.

I think it makes an interesting case for games greatly inspired by Alone in the Dark that came out before Resident Evil. In that sense, I think it is one of the better ones, although time certainly hasn’t been kind to it and the numpad controls might get some getting used to.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Ok, I discussed it with Florian and he agrees, so this is our October game this year 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Accepted Suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.