Final Thoughts

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Pix.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

Some light cheating was involved but I finished this over the weekend. There are transcripts of all the alien communications at starflt.com and I used some of those to speed things along since my note taking wasn’t completely up to scratch. I won’t spoil it here but the ending revelation was a total surprise. I’m sure there is still loads of the game I didn’t see. I never did find Earth for one.

Have to say I really enjoyed Starflight. I’d go as far as to call it a true classic of the era up there with the likes of Ultima 4 and Wasteland. If I’d played this back in 1986 it would probably be one of my favourite games of all time. When you break it down, there isn’t actually all that much to any individual part of it but it comes together into something epic. It’s the scale of the universe and getting to explore it that really make the game.

The ship combat was possibly the only weak area. I did little more than hit the space bar repeatedly. There really wasn’t much combat involved though which is in Starflight’s favour in my opinion.

I love it when games of this era require you to actually use the documentation as well. Aside from taking your own notes, there are clues you need to in the map and all those screenshots. It’s games like this that got me started collecting big box PC games in the first place.

Big thanks to Corgibuttz for choosing Starflight. Like far too many other games, I’ve had it sat in a bookcase for some years and may never have got around to playing it otherwise.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Wow, that’s really impressive!

This game is indeed really something. I can’t believe I hadn’t even heard of it before this. Definitely a big thanks to Corgibuttz for suggesting it!

Corgibuttz
    Participant
    Podcaster

Wow you really plowed through it!

I was thinking of posting a “so where’s everyone at?” post on the 15th, half way through the month.

I got a late start last week, but so far I’ve pretty much maxed my ship out. I haven’t really chatted w/ many aliens, just focusing on getting a bad ass ship first.

This is one of those game that honestly, a little sharing of information could be sort of fun.

Maybe when there’s only 10 days left we could start a thread sharing some info the aliens of given us?

The game is pretty tough, it could be fun to sort of “come together” as a community and pool our resources.

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

I got off to a running start which certainly helped. I’d already put about 5 hours in on the 1st of the month which was nearly enough to max out my ship and crew. Since the game after that mainly relies on knowledge, it’s fairly easy to speed things along with judicious use of saved games.

I don’t reckon Starflight is particularly tough in all honesty especially for the era. Compared to Wizardry or Might and Magic, I’d go as far as to call it forgiving. There seem to be several ways to find some of the clues and farming minerals/endurium was never difficult even when close to Arth. The aliens gave enough hints to get me to the end of the game, I don’t recall ever having to entirely chance upon anything. The hardest part of the game by far was at the start where I was still trying to figure out how everything worked.

Pooling resources might not be a bad idea. I could certainly offer hints but I’m trying not to give anything away. If you know where you are going, I expect it could be completed in about 15-30 minutes once you have the ship upgraded. I’d hate to be the only one to see the ending at any rate.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.