Lazer Squad – the basis

Home Forums Previous Months 31 – August 2019: UFO: Enemy Unknown Lazer Squad – the basis

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• evilcommiedictator
    Participant
    Podcaster

You can play Lazer Squad online here, using online DOSBOX:
    https://playclassic.games/games/turn-based-tactics-dos-games-online/play-laser-squad-online/
    Originally made for the C64 and Spectrum in 1998 and Amiga/Atari in 1989, the DOS version was remade in 1992.

The game features several scenario setup for the tactical combat phase, which will be very familiar to XCOM players, with crouching, weapons and explosives. Each scenario you start by equipping your team, using a shared pool of money to buy your stuff. The combat is very much XCOM, with explosives, different shot types and the ability to be very tricky if you know what you’re doing :D. The interface is a bit clunky though 🙁

Simon Ashtear
    Participant

Lazer Squad! 😀

I never played the original, but I did have a copy of Lazer Squad: Nemesis for the Game Boy Advance. I think the main X-COM team had splintered and fragmented by that point, but some of the diaspora found each other, came together, and were responsible for Nemesis.

Edit: My mistake, I was thinking of Rebelstar: Tactical Command for the GBA. I’m very interested in the original team. Once they went their separate ways, what all did they go on to create? How similar is each title? There’s X-COM, Laser Squad, Rebelstar, the new Phoenix Point, did anyone have any influence on the UFO: Aftermath series? It’s like the X-COM guys, no matter what studio they go to, just can’t stop making X-COM games.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Wow, this is awesome!

Evil Taco
    Participant

Tempted to hook up the C64 now… also played Laser Squad Deluxe on the PC back in the day.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 31 – August 2019: UFO: Enemy Unknown Lazer Squad – the basis