Lower and high game graphics.

Home Forums Previous Months 48 – September 2020: Wing Commander Lower and high game graphics.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Psy
    Participant

I didn’t play it in ages, but I remember the game changing the graphics based on the expanded memory size and CPU (and perhaps a command line option). The most obvious change was the explosions. Instead of a big blast you get some minor “pufs”, even on the game intro.

I remember deliberately doing that to speed up some battles, but I’m now curious if there are other changes on the gameplay.

Someone remember this?

f2bnp
    Participant

Wow, I had no idea this was a thing. I’d have to look into it, sounds interesting!

Psy
    Participant

I was trying to replicate this on DOS box without success. I can disable extended and expanded memory, but seems that DOSBOX has always a min of 1MB of memory free, and that is enough for the game to go full graphics.

Something interesting: if you change the graphics from VGA to EGA, the installer actually converts the art to 16 colors without backup, so, if you later want to go back to VGA, it asks for the original discs.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Psy
    Participant

Got it! 1MB of memory and the option “use loadfix” on 80kb to cannibalize the main memory did the trick. I’m attaching a couple of GIFs as proof 🙂

High graphics:

Attachments:

Psy
    Participant

Low graphics:

Attachments:

f2bnp
    Participant

Wow! Quite subtle overall and very smart way to cut down on memory requirements! Thanks for the demonstration.

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

I may be thinking of the sequel but I recall the cockpit damage animations being removed on systems with low memory.

Psy
    Participant

Oh!, yeah, that rings a bell and might be the case for both WC1 and WC2

bluntman3000
    Participant

Haha, great! Actually, I forgot about this, but now I remember. A good friend from back in the days almost lost it one day, when he saw that “my” explosions were bigger than his.

Sweet nostalgia, thank you for sharing!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 48 – September 2020: Wing Commander Lower and high game graphics.