Play together

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

• rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

So, the Simon the Sorcerer games have a reputation of being overly hard. But we don’t want to resort to using a walkthrough, do we?

To solve this catch 22, why don’t we do a play together style thing? This is my idea:

We have short voice calls twice a week in June where we talk about what we found out and get everyone on the same page.

To make things even more interesting, we can post that stuff as a short audio let’s play series.

If you’re interested in joining this, please leave a reply below!

gn0me
    Participant

I am down to join and play. Time could be an issue but I’m fairly flexible… though these old bones don’t stay up as late as they used to.

Let me know the when’s and where’s and I’ll do my best to take part.

Shattered
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’m definitely interested! If we get really stuck we could even see if those old 1-900 number hint lines still work and record part of that for the show! 🙂

HPLovegames
    Participant
    Podcaster

My life should be getting back to something more normal in June. Would you be interested in possibly even doing some Discord calls where one of us streams the game and multiple people can hash out the solutions?

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I’d be interested in doing some sort of streaming thing, but not on Discord 😉

pushblock
    Participant

Count me in! Although I have similar time constraints as gn0me, but I’ll try and join if you guys meet to play this game 🙂

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

This is a great idea but I already know how to beat these games so I’ll probably have to sit this one out. If you ever do any Infocom games or the like, then count me in. Been meaning to play more of those for years and never get around to it….

I don’t reckon STS is unfairly hard but the puzzles can certainly be obtuse. It’s not on Discworld levels of impossibility but it’s a whole lot tougher than Day Of The Tentacle.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

So, let’s try to get this going!
    Let’s have our first call on Thursday, 3 June at 7PM UTC (9PM CEST)

https://meet.jit.si/DGCSimonTheSorcererPlayTogether

We’re going to record this, but I don’t think we should put in all the extra effort of a normal episode, so we’ll record the entire call, no need for participants to set up proper recording.

Please do use headphones though, otherwise audio quality may be too limited.

See how far you can get in the game, but DON’T look at a walkthrough or anything. Also, if you have finished the game before, please don’t participate 😉

We’ll discuss where we got stuck and try to give hints to each other so we can all progress again.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

So, Tijn and I did the first session and made some very good progress.
    I’ll upload our recording tomorrow for everyone else to listen to!

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Yeah, this is cool! Might be good to announce the next date a bit in advance so more people can have a chance to join. Just play as far as you’re able and then jump into the call to get updated on our collaborative progress 🙂

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

You wanted an early session 😉

pushblock
    Participant

That’s so cool! I’ll try to keep an eye on this thread to have a better chance to join next time 🙂

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

When is the next call going to be?

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Sunday, Monday?

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I’m ok with Sunday. Monday is fine too, but maybe Sunday is easier for other people to join in?

pushblock
    Participant

I can probably make it today (Sunday), Monday would be more difficult.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

This is very short notice, but we’re going to record in about an hour (10pm CEST).

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’m just listening to part 1 of this and you mention not being able to find interactable objects – one of the neat features in the game is if you press F10 it will highlight all hotspots which saves a ton of pixel hunting.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Yeah, I told Tijn about it but he insists that was not in the original floppy version. Can you settle this dispute?

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Also, we got very far yesterday, I think we might finish the game this week already.
    Let’s try to record the next session on

Wednesday, 10PM CEST.

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

Having just checked, Tijn is right so it was dodgy advice from me. It also wasn’t in the Windows version either, at least not the one I’ve got. My memory is clearly playing tricks with me. That feature is in the DOS version of Simon 2 though if you get on to that.

Glad I dug it out to check as it happens. My copy came with a swampling T-Shirt which I just discovered is starting to go mouldy after too many years in a box. Nothing a quick wash shouldn’t fix hopefully. One of the perils of big box collecting…

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Wow, a swampling T-shirt! That’s awesome.

Also very much on board with continuing our quest tomorrow, possibly even finishing it?

If others want to join, anyone’s more than welcome to! Just click this link tomorrow evening (10pm CEST): https://meet.jit.si/DGCSimonTheSorcererPlayTogether

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Thanks for stopping by, Jonas & pushblock! It was fun talking to you, hope our hints have helped you along 🙂

By the way, here’s episode 2, which we forgot to link earlier: https://www.dosgameclub.com/play-together-simon-the-sorcerer-part-2/

The next and final part should be coming up shortly!

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

And here’s part 3. That’s a wrap!

There’s no way we thought we’d be done in only 3 sessions but here we are.

https://www.dosgameclub.com/play-together-simon-the-sorcerer-part-3/

pushblock
    Participant

Thanks so much! I hadn’t ever had the experience of calling a hint line 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.