Replay value

Home Forums Game Suggestions Replay value

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous
    Inactive

Would love to hear a discussion of DOS games with high replay value. Maybe games with mods or editors, particularly games with active communities.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

(Maybe this thread belongs in the DOS talk forum?)

Anyway, to answer your question, one obvious answer is Master of Orion or MOO2. Randomly generated maps, tons of different options and variables for each game and endless play styles – pretty much the perfect recipe for replayability.
    You mentioned level editors, so it’s also hard to go past Duke3D. I almost certainly spent more time in my youth making levels than playing the official episodes.

It also depends on what you mean by replayability. There’s a number of games I come back to nearly every year even though there’s nothing really new to discover. (I’m replaying Hexen right now in fact!)
    Some games just have amazing atmosphere or fun mechanics or some other mysterious x factor that makes them a joy to revisit time and time again.

But I guess for most people “replayability” means not needing a cool-off period – just keep playing them non-stop for an indefinite amount of time. In which case any game that’s good for speedrunning is a contender, and you will often get an active community to boot.
    Apart from Doom, however, I can’t think of many DOS games that have a particularly large speedrunning scene (but I also haven’t looked into it in a while)

Frenzal
    Participant

Agreed with TigerQuoll about the games with randomly generated maps, or even procedurally generated enemies or encounters.

The idea that you can’t predict exactly how the game will play out makes them replayble. Master of Magic, Transport Tycoon, X-com are all games where the gameplay emerges over time.

Other games i’ve returned to many times seem to be because i’ve forgotten what happens, then you have those nostalgic moments where you go “Oh I Remember This!!!!”, but it’s more like watching a favorite movie again rather than enjoying a new but familiar experience.

Anonymous
    Inactive

As a new member, I am a little surprised about being taken to task to using the wrong thread, and having answers referred to as “obvious”.

I was under the impression that this was an open community. It appears that i was mistaken, so I will leave.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

o_O

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Game Suggestions Replay value