Succession Game!

This topic contains 39 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by kdrnic kdrnic 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • rnlf
    rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Okay, as announced, here’s the succession game for SimCity 2000. Because that version is the most easily accessible (on GoG, for example), we’ll be using the Special Edition.

Here are the rules: One person starts a new city and plays it for 4 ingame years. You’re allowed to do whatever you want, except start disasters of any kind. Please don’t leave the city to the next player completely broke πŸ™‚

After your four years are over, you upload your city again and you write a report of what happened in your time and what you did. A few paragraphs are enough, more is not needed.

I think we should also include the following numbers in each post: City Size and Current Treasury.

rnlf
    rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Okay, I started the first city πŸ™‚

Here is Dossington GC! I started in easy mode with $20000. I built a big industrial area, surrounded by a commercial center and some residential areas outside. I wanted to use hydro power, but there were no waterfalls in the map, so I went for oil instead.

In the recent past there were some water shortages, power should be enough for a while. The residential area on the hill is a bit new and needs some care.

I raised the taxes a bit and lower spendings in all areas to 90% to increase cash flow πŸ™‚

Here are the numbers:
    City Size: 5140
    Treasury: $1,342

I thought I had started in 1901 for some reason and played until 1905 instead of 1904. Please forgive me. The next mayor may also play 5 years. Let’s make it 5 for everyone in this first round!

I’d say, whoever wants to continue writes a reply to this post and says “I’m mayor now”. Then you play and edit or post your new city.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tijn
    Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Awesome job, rnlf! I wonder who dares to be the next mayor πŸ˜€

toasty
    toasty
    Participant
    Podcaster

OK, I stepped in to steer Dossington into the 1910s. The city treasury has a bit less money (sorry!) but the population has nearly doubled!

I ended up re-funding all departments and lowering taxes a bit, especially for commerce and cleaner industries to reduce pollution. I also built a college to improve the sims’ education (and hopefully, in a few years, the kinds of industry we get). The educational quotient rose by a single point to 84. :/

Here are the changes I made:

# 1905
    – lowered commercial taxes to stimulate demand;
    – instituted parking fines and a pro-reading campaign;
    – built a college overlooking Hillview;
    – added some commercial zoning;
    – increased education & transit authority funding.

# 1906
    – Created more residential zones, and a big park;
    – increased funding for all sectors to 100%.

# 1907
    – Lowered R & I taxes to 9% (C still at 8%).

# 1909
    – Adjusted taxes to encourage cleaner industries;
    – added some industrial zoning.

# Jan 1910
    Population: 9280
    Treasury: $758
    Estimated monthly income: $442

Attachments:
    Tijn
    Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

This is very nice!

I’ll try to take over tonight and bring Dossington into the next decade.

Tijn
    Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

YES! The same game works, guys πŸ™‚ I’m off being a mayor for 5 years now B-)

Tijn
    Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Oh no, I made rnlf’s mistake too D: I thought the game started in 1911 so I had to play until 1915, but I started in 1910, so I played for 6 years by accident :'(

I’m sorry!

Here’s a report of what happened:

1910:
    —–
    * In response to the high demand of industrial zoning, a new industrial area will be created across the river. It will be known as: “Riverside Modern Industry”

* The lake in the middle of the new industrial area will be redesigned in order to use the land area more efficiently

* Riverside project phase 1: building a bridge across the river and laying a ring road

* To finance this project, Industry and Commerce taxation will be increased by 1% (to 7% and 8% respectively)

* A small park is built between Stinky Place Industrial and Old Town

1911:
    —–
    * Phase 2 of the Riverside Modern Industry project is initialised: water pipes & electricity lines are put into place

* Because of the lasting demand in Commerce, a 1% Sales Tax is introduced to help finance further development in this type of zoning in the future

* An unfortunate water shortage is reported

1912:
    —–
    * To combat the water shortage, 3 new water pumps have been built. After inspecting the water network, it turned out an area in Hillside was not connected to the water network, a serious oversight of previous administrations. Mayor Tijn has restored the network, which was likely the cause of the shortage.

* Riverside project phase 3: industrial zoning of the new area is underway, despite significant funds having been used for the redundant water pumps instead.

1913:
    —–
    * The Riverside Modern Industrial project is completed

* Additional industry zones are assigned in Hillside

* In response to rising demand in Residential zones, additional space for housing is designated between the Old Town & Hillview area

1914:
    —–
    * The new Residential zone between Old Town & Hillview is finalised

* At the people’s request, a small park is added to the new residential zone as well

* Commercial & Industrial taxation is lowered by 1% to respectively 7% and 6% to allow growth in these areas

1915:
    —–
    * The new Residential zone is slightly expanded. Also a City Hall and Mayor’s House are added to the area

* To keep the crime rate low, a Neighbourhood Watch Program is instated

* A 1% Income Tax is implemented to pay for the additional services the city is providing

End of 1915 status:
    ——————-
    Population: 12,220
    Treasury: $1,624
    Yearly income: $716
    Projected income for 1916: $762

Sorry again for governing an extra year!

Attachments:
    sorceress
    sorceress
    Participant

I’ll take over for the next leg 1915-1920

Tijn
    Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

\o/

sorceress
    sorceress
    Participant

– The power supply in the city is at 88% of capacity, meaning we can’t connect much more real estate to the current network. With the new Riverside industrial park being developed, I’m concerned we might soon be overloaded, which would be an economic disaster.
    – Created ‘Micropolis’ self-sustaining area with hydro power. Hope we can grow this area later, without adding strain on the main power plant.
    – Slightly modified the road layout in the main industrial area to improve land usage.
    – Added a small residential zone near to the main industrial area, because that corner didn’t have any residential area nearby.
    – Raised residential raxes by 1% (from 8% to 9%) to take advantage of the current high demand for residential.

– Micropolis was an instant success, with full land usage within the year. Have doubled the land capacity and added another hydroelectic power station.
    – The Riverside industrial park is slow to develop because of no nearby residential areas, so added a small residential area in the foothills of the “Windy Tops” overlooking the park, powered by the Micropolis HEP plants. Both it and Riverside are seen to develop.

– Residents are demanding recreations facilities: zoo, marina, park, stadium, though we can’t afford to provide any of these currently.
    – Authorised construction of Windy Tops luxury homes. Care taken to avoid felling trees.
    – Developed Micropolis a little more in light commercial, to serve it’s residents.

-Added a small number of commerical properties along the road near the bridge, because there were no commercial areas nearby.
    – Created ‘Watergate Business Park’, alongside the Riverside Industrial estate. These are exciting new high-end commercial lettings, ideal for startups and entrepreneurs located in a young and uncoming part of the city.

End of 1919 Status
    ——————
    Population: 14,290
    Treasury: $1,474
    Projected income for 1920: $1,028
    Mayor’s approval rating: 60%
    Demand remains high for all three zones.
    Power station is now at 93% capacity.

Attachments:
    wan
    wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

I pick the next 5 years!

EDIT: Time for a gif

wan
    wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

THE HISTORY OF DOSSINGTON DC (1920-1925)

Mayor Wan got elected in 1920, with a platform focused on resolving the imminent power shortage issue – he indeed promised to switch the city entirely to hydroelectric energy by the end of his office.

Right at the start of his office, the Mayor launched a controversial tax program, notably increasing property taxes to %10, and heavily drawing from financial companies. “We really need that money guys”, said the mayor in a satisfying explaination.

In the early years, large investments have been put towards developing hydroelectric power, but the costs made the switch go much slower than planned. Investments have also been made in the Micropolis area, with among other things the creation of the Sakamoto High School.

The second part of the mandate gave life to a brand new area called La Plagette, aiming to make the “North bank great again”. It consisted in a long beach filled with light residential areas, and attractive buildings such as a marina, to which the mayor gave his name.

The final situation of the city was mixed, as taxes refrained the city development, especially for industries. “Sorry guys here you go”, announced Wan in early 1924 as he lowered the taxes a bit. Oil-based power station was still running at 79% Capacity (down from 93%) as of 1925. “My project was a complete success”, assured Wan, “don’t listen to the fake news!”

End of 1924 Status
    β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”
    Population: 14,240
    Treasury: $1,052
    Projected income: $1,016
    Mayor’s approval rating: 56%

Attachments:
    kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

I claim the next 5 years

Tijn
    Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Hahaha, this is going well. I love these reports πŸ˜€

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

—-
    -Three churches were bulldozed in Old Town. I believe it is the low value caused by the nearby heavy industry that makes them settle there.
    -Taxes were lowered to 5%
    -The city now offers free clinics and forbids public smoking
    -Windy Tops/Micropolis connected to main powerlines, as it seems it is the best place to grow

1926-1927
    ———
    -Industrial taxes raised a bit
    -Pollution ordnance removed
    -Windy Tops and Micropolis developed a bit

—-
    -Connection to Lister added
    -Another church bulldozed
    -Some residential added

1929-1930
    ———
    -Yet another church bulldozed
    -Some more zoning

Population 16150
    Treasury $1216
    Income $693
    Approval 54%

I’d say it is a bit hard to grow without an overarching plan, and perhaps conflicting goals, but it does mimic real political succession

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.