Succession Game!

Home Forums Previous Months 03 – May 2017: SimCity 2000 Succession Game!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

• rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Okay, as announced, here’s the succession game for SimCity 2000. Because that version is the most easily accessible (on GoG, for example), we’ll be using the Special Edition.

Here are the rules: One person starts a new city and plays it for 4 ingame years. You’re allowed to do whatever you want, except start disasters of any kind. Please don’t leave the city to the next player completely broke πŸ™‚

After your four years are over, you upload your city again and you write a report of what happened in your time and what you did. A few paragraphs are enough, more is not needed.

I think we should also include the following numbers in each post: City Size and Current Treasury.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Okay, I started the first city πŸ™‚

Here is Dossington GC! I started in easy mode with $20000. I built a big industrial area, surrounded by a commercial center and some residential areas outside. I wanted to use hydro power, but there were no waterfalls in the map, so I went for oil instead.

In the recent past there were some water shortages, power should be enough for a while. The residential area on the hill is a bit new and needs some care.

I raised the taxes a bit and lower spendings in all areas to 90% to increase cash flow πŸ™‚

Here are the numbers:
    City Size: 5140
    Treasury: $1,342

I thought I had started in 1901 for some reason and played until 1905 instead of 1904. Please forgive me. The next mayor may also play 5 years. Let’s make it 5 for everyone in this first round!

I’d say, whoever wants to continue writes a reply to this post and says “I’m mayor now”. Then you play and edit or post your new city.

Attachments:

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Awesome job, rnlf! I wonder who dares to be the next mayor πŸ˜€

toasty
    Participant
    Podcaster

OK, I stepped in to steer Dossington into the 1910s. The city treasury has a bit less money (sorry!) but the population has nearly doubled!

I ended up re-funding all departments and lowering taxes a bit, especially for commerce and cleaner industries to reduce pollution. I also built a college to improve the sims’ education (and hopefully, in a few years, the kinds of industry we get). The educational quotient rose by a single point to 84. :/

Here are the changes I made:

# 1905
    – lowered commercial taxes to stimulate demand;
    – instituted parking fines and a pro-reading campaign;
    – built a college overlooking Hillview;
    – added some commercial zoning;
    – increased education & transit authority funding.

# 1906
    – Created more residential zones, and a big park;
    – increased funding for all sectors to 100%.

# 1907
    – Lowered R & I taxes to 9% (C still at 8%).

# 1909
    – Adjusted taxes to encourage cleaner industries;
    – added some industrial zoning.

# Jan 1910
    Population: 9280
    Treasury: $758
    Estimated monthly income: $442

Attachments:

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

This is very nice!

I’ll try to take over tonight and bring Dossington into the next decade.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

YES! The same game works, guys πŸ™‚ I’m off being a mayor for 5 years now B-)

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Oh no, I made rnlf’s mistake too D: I thought the game started in 1911 so I had to play until 1915, but I started in 1910, so I played for 6 years by accident :'(

I’m sorry!

Here’s a report of what happened:

1910:
    —–
    * In response to the high demand of industrial zoning, a new industrial area will be created across the river. It will be known as: “Riverside Modern Industry”

* The lake in the middle of the new industrial area will be redesigned in order to use the land area more efficiently

* Riverside project phase 1: building a bridge across the river and laying a ring road

* To finance this project, Industry and Commerce taxation will be increased by 1% (to 7% and 8% respectively)

* A small park is built between Stinky Place Industrial and Old Town

1911:
    —–
    * Phase 2 of the Riverside Modern Industry project is initialised: water pipes & electricity lines are put into place

* Because of the lasting demand in Commerce, a 1% Sales Tax is introduced to help finance further development in this type of zoning in the future

* An unfortunate water shortage is reported

1912:
    —–
    * To combat the water shortage, 3 new water pumps have been built. After inspecting the water network, it turned out an area in Hillside was not connected to the water network, a serious oversight of previous administrations. Mayor Tijn has restored the network, which was likely the cause of the shortage.

* Riverside project phase 3: industrial zoning of the new area is underway, despite significant funds having been used for the redundant water pumps instead.

1913:
    —–
    * The Riverside Modern Industrial project is completed

* Additional industry zones are assigned in Hillside

* In response to rising demand in Residential zones, additional space for housing is designated between the Old Town & Hillview area

1914:
    —–
    * The new Residential zone between Old Town & Hillview is finalised

* At the people’s request, a small park is added to the new residential zone as well

* Commercial & Industrial taxation is lowered by 1% to respectively 7% and 6% to allow growth in these areas

1915:
    —–
    * The new Residential zone is slightly expanded. Also a City Hall and Mayor’s House are added to the area

* To keep the crime rate low, a Neighbourhood Watch Program is instated

* A 1% Income Tax is implemented to pay for the additional services the city is providing

End of 1915 status:
    ——————-
    Population: 12,220
    Treasury: $1,624
    Yearly income: $716
    Projected income for 1916: $762

Sorry again for governing an extra year!

Attachments:

sorceress
    Participant

I’ll take over for the next leg 1915-1920

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

\o/

sorceress
    Participant

– The power supply in the city is at 88% of capacity, meaning we can’t connect much more real estate to the current network. With the new Riverside industrial park being developed, I’m concerned we might soon be overloaded, which would be an economic disaster.
    – Created ‘Micropolis’ self-sustaining area with hydro power. Hope we can grow this area later, without adding strain on the main power plant.
    – Slightly modified the road layout in the main industrial area to improve land usage.
    – Added a small residential zone near to the main industrial area, because that corner didn’t have any residential area nearby.
    – Raised residential raxes by 1% (from 8% to 9%) to take advantage of the current high demand for residential.

– Micropolis was an instant success, with full land usage within the year. Have doubled the land capacity and added another hydroelectic power station.
    – The Riverside industrial park is slow to develop because of no nearby residential areas, so added a small residential area in the foothills of the “Windy Tops” overlooking the park, powered by the Micropolis HEP plants. Both it and Riverside are seen to develop.

– Residents are demanding recreations facilities: zoo, marina, park, stadium, though we can’t afford to provide any of these currently.
    – Authorised construction of Windy Tops luxury homes. Care taken to avoid felling trees.
    – Developed Micropolis a little more in light commercial, to serve it’s residents.

-Added a small number of commerical properties along the road near the bridge, because there were no commercial areas nearby.
    – Created ‘Watergate Business Park’, alongside the Riverside Industrial estate. These are exciting new high-end commercial lettings, ideal for startups and entrepreneurs located in a young and uncoming part of the city.

End of 1919 Status
    ——————
    Population: 14,290
    Treasury: $1,474
    Projected income for 1920: $1,028
    Mayor’s approval rating: 60%
    Demand remains high for all three zones.
    Power station is now at 93% capacity.

Attachments:

wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

I pick the next 5 years!

EDIT: Time for a gif

wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

THE HISTORY OF DOSSINGTON DC (1920-1925)

Mayor Wan got elected in 1920, with a platform focused on resolving the imminent power shortage issue – he indeed promised to switch the city entirely to hydroelectric energy by the end of his office.

Right at the start of his office, the Mayor launched a controversial tax program, notably increasing property taxes to %10, and heavily drawing from financial companies. “We really need that money guys”, said the mayor in a satisfying explaination.

In the early years, large investments have been put towards developing hydroelectric power, but the costs made the switch go much slower than planned. Investments have also been made in the Micropolis area, with among other things the creation of the Sakamoto High School.

The second part of the mandate gave life to a brand new area called La Plagette, aiming to make the “North bank great again”. It consisted in a long beach filled with light residential areas, and attractive buildings such as a marina, to which the mayor gave his name.

The final situation of the city was mixed, as taxes refrained the city development, especially for industries. “Sorry guys here you go”, announced Wan in early 1924 as he lowered the taxes a bit. Oil-based power station was still running at 79% Capacity (down from 93%) as of 1925. “My project was a complete success”, assured Wan, “don’t listen to the fake news!”

End of 1924 Status
    β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”
    Population: 14,240
    Treasury: $1,052
    Projected income: $1,016
    Mayor’s approval rating: 56%

Attachments:

kdrnic
    Participant

I claim the next 5 years

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Hahaha, this is going well. I love these reports πŸ˜€

kdrnic
    Participant

—-
    -Three churches were bulldozed in Old Town. I believe it is the low value caused by the nearby heavy industry that makes them settle there.
    -Taxes were lowered to 5%
    -The city now offers free clinics and forbids public smoking
    -Windy Tops/Micropolis connected to main powerlines, as it seems it is the best place to grow

1926-1927
    ———
    -Industrial taxes raised a bit
    -Pollution ordnance removed
    -Windy Tops and Micropolis developed a bit

—-
    -Connection to Lister added
    -Another church bulldozed
    -Some residential added

1929-1930
    ———
    -Yet another church bulldozed
    -Some more zoning

Population 16150
    Treasury $1216
    Income $693
    Approval 54%

I’d say it is a bit hard to grow without an overarching plan, and perhaps conflicting goals, but it does mimic real political succession

Attachments:

wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

Your post prompted me to do some research on churches πŸ˜€

“One of the things you’ll notice is that as your residential zones develop, 2×2 churches will be periodically constructed in your zoned land. However, churches aren’t considered residential buildings, and do not contribute to the residential population. If they bother you and you start trying to demolish them, you’ll notice that new churches pop up elsewhere. Bottom line: Churches are here to stay, so live with it.”

(source)

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Okay, I’m gonna take over until 1935!

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

First thing I noticed in 1930 was that Dossington barely had any Fire Departments. We all had our experiences with fires devastating a whole city, so I built two new fire stations in strategic locations. Both are in areas that had no protection at all, but also still have quite a bit of unused land around them, so that they will protect new zones, too.

The first one was placed in Hillview, the second one on a hill overlooking Stinky Place Industrial Park.

In the same year, I realized that several zones weren’t connected to the Urban Water Distribution Network (UH2ODN), so I naturally fixed that.

In 1932, I renamed the City College to Dossington Engineering School, which in turn prompted the principal of Micropolis Highschool to rename his school to Mayor Rnlf Highschool, a great honor for me.

In 1934, a new road connecting Dossington to Hoek Creek was completed, causing a raise in annual income by about $300, so that the expenses for the improved fire protection are more than compensated for.

Last, I noticed some heavy traffic building up in Old Town so I decided to build a second connection between Old Town and Hillview. While building the roads, I noticed that many roads across the city were in horrible shape and that the water pumps were overloaded, so as a last action before leaving the office, I renewed the broken streets and build 4 new water pumps, which is the reason why the treasury only contains $393 at the moment, sorry about that, successing mayor of Dossington, but I leave you with a bit more annual income than I had when I took over:

Population 19250
    Treasury $393
    Income $707
    Approval 68%

Attachments:

toasty
    Participant
    Podcaster

Yoink!

toasty
    Participant
    Podcaster

Mayor Toasty’s report:

—-
    – In response to high demand, residential and industrial taxes are raised. Approval ratings drop, but Mayor Toasty resolves to lower them in the final year of his term, claiming, “None of these morons will even remember by then.”
    – Several small parks are placed around the old city to increase land value.
    – Not much else happens. Mayor Toasty blames the previous administration’s overspending on health and education, denying any links to the global economic crisis.

—-
    – Increased tax revenues are directed towards redeveloping the Windy Tops. Despite the weather, the neighbourhood prospers.
    – Mayor Toasty, anticipating trouble with the antiquated power grid, adds a new section to the main hydroelectric dam.

—-
    – Flush with money but not much land, Mayor Toasty drains the swamp below the Windy Tops. The Windy Bottom development is born.

—-
    – Mayor Toasty attends the opening ceremony for the Windy Bottom park.
    – Another section is added to the hydroelectric dam.

—-
    – FIRE! A factory in the centre of Stinky Place Industrial park burns to the ground. Mayor Toasty responds swiftly, and the city is saved.
    – Mayor Toasty declines to comment on allegations he started the fire in order to improve his reputation.

—-
    Mayor Toasty forgets to lower taxes because demand is still high, and gets booted out of office.

Population: 20080
    Treasury: $452
    Yearly income: $1084
    Approval: 50%

Attachments:

wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

Timelapse update:

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Very nice!

I’ll pick it up next, if that’s ok.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Sorry for the delay! I’ve just taken my turn and left Dossington with a bright looking future!

—-
    Mayor Tijn is dedicated to making Dossington “a more liveable city”, as was promised during his campaign. In order to realise this, action is immediately undertaken:

* The fire department is reorganised to run more efficiently, saving 50% of its budget for better uses.
    * An anti-drug campaign is started to help the kids of Dossington reach their potential.
    * Pollution controls are mandated, so the citizens of Dossington can breathe freely.
    * Taxes are increased by 1% across the board to fix the city’s empty treasury.

—-
    * A police station is built near the bridge between Stinky and Riverside
    * A fire station and hospital are built in Windy Bottom
    * There is an on-going lack of power in Dossington, but the funds are lacking to fix this issue properly. Because the city generates enough income, a $10,000 bond is issued at 6% to make sure the necessary developments can be implemented for the benefit of all citizens.
    * The funds are used to build a significant number of hydro plants, providing cheap, clean and durable energy for the city.
    * A grade school is built in Hillview

—-
    * A great number of water pumps are built near the Micropolis lake. Both the electrical and water issues of Dossington are hereby sorted for years to come.
    * To meet the great demand for housing, additional residential zones are placed in Windy Bottom

—-
    * As demand for housing remains high, it’s clear the city needs to expand. Beyond the Windy Tops & Bottom area is suitable area, but it’s hard to reach because of the hills in between. An ambitious project is started to build a tunnel that allows to access the area beyond the hills, to allow future development and expansion of the city.

—-
    * A glorious tunnel is built to allow “Grand Valley” to be developed into the expansion the city so desperately need!

Population: 24050
    Treasury: $656
    Yearly income: $1185
    Approval rating: 64%

Attachments:

sorceress
    Participant

my turn!

kdrnic
    Participant

* The fire department is reorganised to run more efficiently, saving 50% of its budget for better uses.

Doesn’t the fire department funding directly affect the chance of a fire? This must be reverted ASAP by the next mayor, least Dossington burn to the ground!

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I don’t think so, kdrnic. As long as the fire response is adequate, it’s ok, right?

sorceress
    Participant

——-
    Our power station is nearing the end of it’s life. Previous goverments have made insufficient provision to address this issue, as the hydroelectric plants which have recently been constructed will not be enough to meet our energy needs.

Allowing the power station to fail would be a life threatening disaster, causing chaos and misery for families and businesses across the city. Perhaps the previous goverment would have been happy to have let this happen, leaving us sat in the dark, and our businesses going to ruin?

To help raise funds for the new power station, we’re taking the following actions:

– Cutting funding for schools to 60%
    – Cutting funding for police to 60%
    – Cutting ordinances for free clinics
    – Cutting education ordinances

——-
    Our educational institutions have suffered from years of neglect by previous governments, and our children are now paying the price. After schools throughout this city were graded F in most recent inspections, it is clear the whole educational system is in dire need of top-down reform.

The 1947 Schools Act will overturn the ban on grammar schools, and construction of a new Grammar school in Windy Tops will begin in the spring, giving young people from ordinary working families the opportunities denied to them by previous governments.

——-
    Through our strong and stable leadership, we have raised the necessary funds to seamlessly replace the aging power station before disaster strikes.

We were committed to keeping the lights on for the next 50 years, and we’ve delivered on our promise.

Population: 24290
    Treasury: $956
    Yearly Income: $1446
    Approval Rating: 64%

Attachments:

kdrnic
    Participant

It is wan’s turn now

wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

You can pick the game kdrnic, I won’t be able to play again before a couple days. I’ll steal someone’s turn when I’m back πŸ™‚

sorceress
    Participant

Discussed with kdrnic – we only have 1 week to go, to try and advance the sim to 2017. I suggested we increase to 10 year slots, as this will only require 6 more turns.

We were voted in for 10 more glorious years!

1950 – 1954
    ——————
    Now that the power issue is over, the cuts to public services have been reversed, with police, health and education budget being raised to 70% and fire dept budget being raised to 50%

Education and health ordinances are also restored to pre 1945 levels.

We begin construction of a new district in Grand Valley.

1955 – 1959
    ——————
    Nuclear power invented. Dossington declared a nuclear free zone.
    A new settlement is established in Redneck County, and a seaport is constructed on the coast near micropolis.

Due to high demand for residental areas, residental tax is raised to 10%

Having $11,467 in the treasury at the end of 1959, the bond is repayed, leaving $1467 for the next governor to play with.

Population: 25710
    Treasury: $1467
    Yearly Income: $2182
    Approval Rating: 64%

Attachments:

wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

EDIT: Whoops bad timing – I’ll pick 1960-1970 then.

Attachments:

wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

THE HISTORY OF DOSSINGTON DC (1960-1970)

Sorceress led a record 15-year-long office as Dossington’s Mayor, following a change to the Dostitution that granted her both the rights to serve two terms in a row, and switched the term duration to ten years.

In a controversial campaign, prior to which Sorceress tried to change the Dostitution again and run for a third term, Wan W. Wan (son of 20s mayor Wan) won the office for the 60s decade.

After light reforms to the tax law, Wan W. launched various park projects throughout the city, in particular in the polluted and crime-prone Riverside district, which saw a new and expensive police station constructed on the flank of a montain.

The Plagette area, which was left abandoned since Wan W. father’s mandate, was finally completed, with the creation of a much welcome seaport.

Excited by the positive feedback about the port, W. ended his term by announcing the launch of a large airport in the new Redneck County. “We still have to find people to invest in it, but it will be awesome”, promised the Mayor in his final speech.

Population: 23030
    Treasury: $7.363
    Yearly Income: $1.638
    Approval Rating: 62%

Attachments:

sorceress
    Participant

ahh, sorry wan. :/ i assumed kdrnic was taking the next session.

I’ll take a look at your 1955 parallel universe anyway! Doc brown must be involved in this misfortune somehow.

wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

No problem, I just failed my attempt at a surprise update!

And Back to the Future did involve the year 1955 πŸ™‚ Now I want to keep playing that alternate timeline as Biff Tannen and see where it goes…

toasty
    Participant
    Podcaster

# 1970
    In order to save Dossington from the many challenges of the 1970s, Toasty III, of the Toasty mayoral dynasty, stepped in. Promising to bring the city out of the minor recession, and to crack down on “rampant, dangerous time travel”, he was sworn in to rapturous applause.

# 1971 – 1973
    – Tax rates are lowered in preparation for a drastic city expansion.
    – Mayor Toasty undertakes a huge development in the Grand Valley.

# 1974 – 1976
    – Mayor Toasty binges on education, building a new school, college, museum and several libraries.
    – Dossington becomes state capital. A giant statue of Toasty III is erected at Dizzying Heights, along with a beautiful residential district.
    – With demand secure, tax rates are increased again.

# 1977 – 1979
    – To relieve traffic in the Tijny Tunnel and around the Windy Tops, the Windy Relief Road is built. Developments soon spring up in this area too, leading to a bustling new district.

# 1980
    Mayor Toasty attempts to hold onto power through a string of scandals, but is forced from office when it emerges he too indulges in frequent time travel.

Population: 40180
    Approval rating: 63%
    Estimated annual income: $3018

Attachments:

sorceress
    Participant

The objective for this term is to further city expansion, and implement a sustainable economic model.

# 1980-81
    – Adjusted taxes to reflect high demands for Commercial and Industrial.
    – Reduced Residental taxes to encourage new residents into the area.
    – Began levelling the terrain above Grand Valley in preparation for city expansion.

# 1982-83
    – Layed roads in the new Grand Plateau area
    – Expanded the hydro plants behind the nearby fire station.
    – A new police station and hospital are constructed in the Grand Plateau area.

# 1984-85
    – As revenue is already high, we remove the 1% Income Tax, and introduce several new socially progressive ordinances to encourage people to move into our growing area.
    – A suspension bridge is constructed over the river near the Marina, providing another access point into Grand Plateau.
    – Construction continues along the plateau, to Schwarzenegger Hill.

# 1986-87
    – Rebalanced taxes to maintain a sustainable demand for all areas, while maintaining a good income.
    – Response to a water shortage with construction of several new pumps.
    – Some small parks are placed in new residential areas.

# 1988-89
    – More roads are added to Schwarzenegger Hill, to try and ease congestion.
    – Terrain is levelled near to the Ocean Seaport, for placement of a small industrial area.
    – Work near the ocean continues, with construction of the Seaside Holiday Park
    – An ocean link road is completed, for connecting with our pirate friends.

Population: 52,670
    Treasury: $3,576
    Income: $3,220
    Approval: 70%

Attachments:

wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

THE HISTORY OF DOSSINGTON DC (1990-2000)

In the year 1990, Wan W. managed to get elected again, 20 years after his first term. Strangely, the man did not seem to age at all.

He started by fixing terrible water shortages all around the city. “It takes me a whole hour to reach the nearest well”, explained a Schwarzenegger Hill resident with a bucket in each hand. “It means that in two hours… I’ll be back” he said, putting sunglasses on and walking away.

In 1993, Mayor Wan W. shocked the scientific world by announcing a disruptive solar power technology. “I invented it myself, using electronics, and… and pipes, and stuff”, he explained to the hundreds of skeptical experts who attended the inaugural speech. As it turns out, the technology did work, the Mayor was hailed as a hero, and the oil energy crisis expected in 2000 was prevented.

In the following years, taxes were slightly increased, as the city could hardly keep expanding. Efforts were made on security and education.

In 1997, a plane crash in Rednack County killed all 134 passengers in a terrible accident, starting a fire that burned down more than half of the district.

Fortunately the city firefighters handled the situation well, and Wan W. put thousands of sim dollars into rebuilding the place, now called Redneck 97′ as a tribute.

While Wan. W. was the favorite for his re-election, he happened to be declared missing in December 1999 in strange circumstances, never to be seen again.

Population: 58,550
    Treasury: $9,727
    Income: $4,060
    Approval: 68%

Attachments:

wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

kdrnic
    Participant

I’ll take the next 10 years

kdrnic
    Participant

In january 2000, a 2 year old Kdrnic, a descendant of the loved 30s figure, becomes mayor of Dossington, despite protests regarding the minimal age for taking office, or being able to properly communicate for that matter.

—-
    -Free clinics are again reinstated, and health department funding bought to 100%. The mayor expresses a support for universal free healthcare, to the chagrim of the pesky liberals who had removed this ordnance.
    -Fire department funding is also bought to 100%, to increase fire safety possibly.
    -A new area known as the Highlands is created. It is thought with the increased health spending, the residents of this area will live long.
    -The Dossington Tank Museum is inaugurated in the Highlands, to display the most interesting tanks of the world wars.
    -In August, the military asks to place a base on Dossington. The mayor accepts considering his duty for the country. Unfortunately, they can’t find suitable land for it…
    2001-2002
    ———
    -The Highlands are further developed
    —-
    -The residential zone of Windy Bottom is expanded
    —-
    -A solar plant is built at the Highlands, due to increased demand and power transmission issues
    —-
    -A terrain elevation is lowered near the Redneck 97 airport, and nearby commerce rezoned to light, in an effort to avoid plane crashes at terrain and buildings
    —-
    -Highlands further developed
    —-
    -New solar plant built, to accommodate demand
    -A plane crash starts a fire near the Henry Kissinger bridge, but firefighters put it down. The bridge is renamed the “Firefighters of Kdrnic bridge”
    —-
    -Another solar plant installed, due to continuing demand
    —-
    -Since capacity of existing plants remains at ~100%, 2 more are built identically, next to the most recent one
    -The Glorious Persecution against the opium of the people takes place: 5 churches are bulldozed, recalling the revolutionary efforts of the 30s

Population: 65740 sims
    Treasury: 10801 simoleons
    Income: 4069 simoleons
    Approval: 65%

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 03 – May 2017: SimCity 2000 Succession Game!