Where Did Folks Get Stuck/Delayed? SPOILERS!

Home Forums Previous Months 91- April 2024: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis Where Did Folks Get Stuck/Delayed? SPOILERS!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• watchful
    Participant

Back in the day I got stuck leading up to or in the sub. Only later to come back to the game once I discovered online FAQs and guides.

This time around I managed to get to Monte Carlo before resorting to UHS to convince Trottier.

Then it was the plunger on the sub. I couldn’t tell that it was possible to walk into the plunger room from from the east, since it looked like a solid wall and not a sub doorway. Also driving the sub appeared to glitch out on the Steam version, along with keyboard controls, when I had alt-tabbed away and back. Had to watch a video to confirm I had the answer and just needed to play without switching away.

Needing the ladder for the chasm blocking the cup statue was also frustrating. Then getting lava into the cup also seemed so odd. Like Indy won’t put a cup under the lava flow, yet he will take the head off while lava is streaming _through_ it?!

Sophia’s cage was confusing because the guide hinted at a broken statue, yet I had opened the inner ring without breaking its guardian statue — only to realize there’s another inside the middle ring. Finally, I didn’t realize I had to pick up the hinge pin after rescuing Sofia.

A few other nits I noticed in the Steam version are that it seemed to have the wrong total IQ points, or else I was very lucky and got the max points for each path I took (very unlikely). It also had the wrong text during Ubermann’s counting, saying something like “predo8” while the talkie said eighteen.

Overall the reuse of some items, other items apparently meant for other paths, and ambiguity in some of the art tripped me up the most. Generally I thought they did a solid job of sign posting things for such an old game. Nothing felt like moon-logic. Yet I would’ve appreciated if a few puzzles accepted some logical alternative solutions and the cage puzzle didn’t require such a long chain of actions to solve.

Mr Creosote
    Participant

In fists path, I found myself the map room in the Crete maze without having the world stone. The solution was to use the fish everywhere to identify the random pit Sophia was in. Sophia happened to have the world stone.

There was no indication that Sophia may be anywhere there, let alone in a pit which looked exactly like regular, unimportant background art. Plus, why would the Nazis throw this the all important world stone in with her? That whole sequence seemed pure Pandora’s box.

Mr Creosote
    Participant

Sorry, one other thing comes to mind. Wits path, also Crete. Sternhart’s note says he’s convinced the map room is on the level we find him on, behind the closed door. But then, it isn’t! It is in fact on the upper level.

Granted, within the plot, it makes sense. The guy died before finding the map room, so it is perfectly possible that he was just mistaken and that lead to his demise.

Nevertheless, within a game which otherwise spells out directions very clearly otherwise, it is misleading to a major degree. That door the note points to is in fact not openable in that path, but there are various imaginable ways to try and waste time.

Dreamkid
    Participant

When I first played as a kid, I didn’t think to go for the lantern while Sternhart and Sophia were talking, and wondered why I didn’t think of it when I found out from either the hintbook or someone else who had. I also didn’t think to use the whip on the third bust.

I remembered almost every puzzle, but had forgotten precisely how to position the gears in that one statue. I’ve actually discovered things I never knew about before despite playing through this multiple times since the ’90’s like how the porcelain mug and clay jar can be dissolved in the lava, and the diagram that can be viewed on the cabinet after it’s closed (Martijn figured out the logic without ever finding it in his stream).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 91- April 2024: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis Where Did Folks Get Stuck/Delayed? SPOILERS!