Advice for New Players

Home Forums Previous Months 72 – September 2022: SimAnt Advice for New Players

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Mike
    Participant
    Podcaster

I never played this game a large amount back in the day and I was just wondering if there’s anything new players should know before starting a game, or any fan patches or special versions of the game that people should check out.

firefyte
    Participant
    Podcaster

Honestly having played just the tutorial and a bit more, I think most of everything should be autopilot and not too hands on with Yellow.

I do suggest concentrating on expansion and nest digging (not too deep, as rain raises the water level), once a patch is available.

This would mean that adjusting the worker/breeder/soldier ratios are the first thing to do, and pressing the ‘mating’ button in the overview.

It looks like (in my full game) the doghouse is where the reds have their ‘stronghold’, so expanding there might be rather tough if you choose to go straight at them.

Otherwise, just relax and enjoy, I don’t think this was ever meant to be a ‘war’ sim.

Also, the in-game tutorials and guides seem good.

frozograbbins
    Participant

I’ve given this one about an hour so far and i’m really liking it. I will say that when I try to micromanage the caste & behavior system it seems like my colony always die, so i’ve just taken to leaving them set to default values.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’m playing the Windows 3.1 version (for DOS game club!? Shock Horror!), so I’m not sure how much of this will translate to the DOS version, but I didn’t find the tutorial particularly helpful. I got a much better idea of how to play the game by reading through the manual with the game open.

I’ve only done one “quick game” so far, which I beat incredibly easily by keeping the pause button on. This way time only progresses while your ant is moving, so by the time I got to the red ant nest, they only had like one or two workers ambling about the surface, and I demolished the unguarded queen with about 5 soldiers.

frozograbbins
    Participant

Ah that pause exploit does seem like a good way to control how the game progresses!

Windos
    Participant

Yeah the pause button made this way to easy.
    even the spider wont do anything

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 72 – September 2022: SimAnt Advice for New Players