First impressions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

So I must admit… I first through Scorched Earth would be quite a bare experience, with the game being so minimal and old.

How pleasantly surprised I was when I first played it yesterday! There’s an enormous variety in weapons, the backgrounds look pretty cool and there are several AIs available. And to finish it off there’s also some kind of economy going on, which I don’t really understand yet.

What’s also very nice is that the game is quite keyboard-friendly. And although the aiming is a bit difficult, it’s not as impossible as I thought it would be.

All in all, this game seems pretty awesome!

dr_st
    Participant

The economy thing is quite nice about Scorched Earth, but it also is a pretty big potential game breaker.

Once you win a couple of rounds and get enough money to buy shields, you are practically indestructible. Very few things can penetrate a shield (especially the heavy-duty one), and it is likely that the other players don’t have them yet.

Thus, if you are not unlucky enough to get killed before your first turn, you activate the shield, which gives you at least 80% of winning the round (90% if you also bought parachutes!), which means you will get more cash, with which you can buy… more shields, and run away winning almost every round.

When playing with other friends we sometimes agreed to not use shields, just for this reason.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.