First Steps

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

A couple of things that might be useful for a first time players.

– You can move around with arrows, both in 2d and 3d parts.
    – Strafing is done with alt+left/right.
    – It is possible to double click on a pack of objects to pick them all up.
    – Most of the items you can find lying around are useless junk and are not worth picking up. Unfortunately the game doesn’t really distinguish that.

When you first start the game you will be on Toronto, a high tech superluminal ship. As a pilot you are assigned to fly a shuttle to investigate a planet Toronto is approaching. After walking around you will receive a message prompting you to go to the hangar and take off.

– You can safely ignore this alert as many times as you want.

*** SPOILERS AHEAD ***

Now, your actual goal on the Toronto in this first part is to investigate the explosion that killed the government envoy that was supposed to go to the planet down with you.

For this you will need to find your friend Joe in the eastern wing of the ship. The game will prompt you when you are nearby. Joe will give you a code to access the service deck. The entrance to this one is north of where Joe can be found.

Once you enter the service area you will experience your first 3D dungeon part. After a short stroll in the underground you will pop up near the damaged console.

Examining the console will give you an extremely powerful object that can help you later in the game. It is thus highly useful to go through this part.

Once you get what you need, you need to be aware that you will be searched when you go out through the door. So you need to do something about it.

Another thing to do on the ship is to search for containers you can Manipulate. At the end you should have a couple of medpaks, better boots, your ring and some cartridges from the deceased officer’s room.

Once you have all of these and have done the console examination you can leave the ship.

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

After playing for a little bit more things come back to mind.

– Food is heavy, get used to the “Throw rations away” screen.
    – If you want to enjoy the game fully, it is better to be generous the first time your sense of gratitude is challenged 🙂
    – The first cellar has rather tough fights, it’s better to leave the house before going in there, and spend money to get combat training, as you don’t actually better at anything when you just level up (DnD style).
    – The merchant of various goods has a chest lying next to her, manipulating it prompts you if you want to buy exotic weapons for 45 gold. This is probably the best investment you can do early on in the game (ideally before you even go to the first cellar).
    – Merchants don’t have the same buy/sell prices, and they have limited space. It is sometimes useful to buy a cheap object just to be able to sell stuff for more money.
    – Specifically I would recommend to keep space for the various monster Trii at the weapons merchant, who gives most gold for them, as you will be bringing these by the dozen.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

I started reading a little bit of a walkthrough, which went through meticulous detail on how to scrounge for all the rations you can pick up on the Toronto.
    Glad I didn’t bother…

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

If you ever plan to min/max the game:

** SPOILER ALERT **

In the first real dungeon you may or may not find a place with three blue light pillars. The game doesn’t really tell you what they do AFAIK. Touching them permanently increases some stat for all of your party.

It turns out that you will be able to return to this place _much_ later in the game, with more people in the party.

DavidN
    Participant
    Podcaster

Thank you for your advice 🙂 I like having the hints – especially as I’ve never really played D&D RPGs, and the whole language of what the game expects from me is unfamiliar to me (I had no idea that levelling up didn’t help with any abilities!)

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

I read a bit of the manual and just learned that if a party members gets ill, they will lose 1 point of all skills per day of sickness. These points can not be recovered at all. So stock up on anti-illness antidote.

DavidN
    Participant
    Podcaster

Well that’s what the game thinks but it hadn’t anticipated my hex editor 😀 It’s astonishing how punishing older games used to be – it was absolutely enraging the first time I got that notification!

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

Hehe, except for about 20 potions from the healer I’m trying to have a clean playthrough. Even trying to not scumsave too much. I did have to reach for the walkthrough in the Maini part though, my memory of that quest is hazy and there is really a lot of walking back and forth.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.