Lost Vikings 2

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• dr_st
    Participant

Lost Vikings is a pretty long game, with 37 levels (43 in the Sega Genesis version), and the sequel adds another whooping 31.

The sequel was released for SNES, PC, Saturn and Playstation. The original SNES version retained the same cartoonish graphics of the first game, while all the other version had completely redrawn graphics, in a style that I can only describe as “weird”. I didn’t like it all. They added full digital voice-over, but it wasn’t very well done either.

To date I prefer to play the SNES version, via an emulator. But you have to be careful – if you get the PAL ROM, it will run slower than it is supposed to, and some of the dialogue will be missing.

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

Before this month, I’d have sworn I’d played the sequel before but I clearly haven’t as the new look was something of a shock. It certainly is a jarring change of style, looking every inch a PS1 game. I don’t hate it but 320×200 looked crisp and detailed in part 1, part 2 is crying out for some more pixels. It reminds me a bit of Skullmonkeys except not as good. The gameplay is much the same at least, the introduction of new characters was unexpected but doesn’t appear to change things up all that much at least so far. My main issue is the increased loading times which are a little grating when retrying a level. Even the screen where your vikings are resurrected takes a while to load.

I had a quick look at the SNES version which probably is the way to go but this is DOS game club after all so I’m sticking with it.

dr_st
    Participant

I must admit my memory is a bit hazy when it comes to my first encounter with Lost Vikings 2. Was it a pirated CD-rip? Or a friend’s CD copy? I don’t remember, but I do remember I played through about half of it, then dropped it. A while later, I discovered the SNES ROM and played through it, and eventually, I did play through the PC version as well, although I certainly never did it more than once.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I’m up to level 30 with LV1 so if I’m able to beat it, I’ll have a look at the sequel for sure. Seems interesting to see!

dr_st
    Participant

Fun fact – The Sega 32x version of Blackthorne contains a hidden room in one of the exclusive snow levels, which features the three Vikings, in their outfits from the SNES version of Lost Vikings II.

Fun fact #2 – For whatever reason, if you choose to collect the potion in the middle of this screen, both Kyle (the protagonist) and his pants will become red, and the effect will even stay past the end of the level.

Attachments:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.