M.D.K.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

A neat 3rd person shooter. I think it had pretty cool style for the time. This is another example of a very late DOS game.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDK_(Computerspiel)

B.LEAGUER
    Participant

I think this would be an interesting one. I never played it somehow. I don’t remember there being a ton of hype around this release, even though critics liked it alright. Seems like there’s some actual depth to the game so I’m sad I missed it. This would be a good excuse for me to play through!

pointer
    Participant

Yeah, the thing I remember about this one (aside from being a great shooter) is the distinct aesthetic. Visually it was both smooth and jagged, dark and light, and used a very strange effect for “reflective” surfaces. The whole game had kind of a dreamy, surreal quality to it, but was also going for comedy at times.

Smooth feeling to the gameplay. Impressive zoom distance in sniper mode for the time, although I think the levels were mostly linear and enclosed, more like an arcade.

Well done sounds and (I think) music, it was almost like a spectacle fighter.

lmfsilva
    Participant

I remember at the time Dave Perry was very openly criticising developers who took shortcuts with early 3D accelerator cards and promised he was working on something with a software renderer that would absolutely blow them out of the water, and to be honest, they did just that. While sniping is mostly just a set piece on some bits, it is as smooth as promised and the game runs exceptionally well for a late DOS game. A bit short and tough, but it’s certainly one of the best non-fps action games for computers at the time.

If any of you has it on GOG, check the booklet in the extras, there’s a lot of cool stuff there that was likely the press package, a magazine here had a full preview on the game that in retrospect was just bits of concept art, screenshots and interviews available on that booklet of the special edition. Plus, I think it’s the one I’ve sent them.

copypaper
    Participant

I would not have guessed this had a DOS release, I think of it as a later game.

I had the demo and played it over and over again, but never purchased it.

crazydescent
    Participant

MDK had some wonderfully weird mechanics and enemies..also a lot of humor I think (one of the weapons was a mini nuke). One of those games back in the day where the magazine ads didn’t give you a clue what you would actually go play..
    Also I think this was the first game that dropped you from the air into a level and you had to dodge obstacles on the way down?

ropie
    Participant

I’d like to suggest MDK – a graphically and musically very impressive ‘third person shooter’ (although I hate that term!) by Shiny Entertainment from 1997. I have very fond memories of this one. If you haven’t tried it you should – it was pretty unique at the time and still looks and plays great today.

RamB
    Participant

+1 for MDK. Very forward thinking art for its time and a completely unique game. Made by Shiny entertainment. Also known for Earthworm Jim, Messiah and Giants Citizen Kabuto. The sequel, MDK2 was done by Bioware and was also quite good.

RamB
    Participant

+1 lovely game

tinybird
    Participant

I played the demo back in the day and it had a very cool style. I’d be well up for playing this through.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Accepted Suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.