Manhunter: New York

Home Forums Game Suggestions Manhunter: New York

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• patrick_wd
    Participant

Since the club has a lot of adventure game fans, I think this one definitely needs to go on the list. I played the apple 2gs version as a kid, and there’s really been nothing else quite like it since then.

It’s set in a post-apocalyptic earth that was invaded and conquered by a race of aliens called “Orbs” that are basically floating eyeballs. Because the orbs are deaf, they forbid all of humanity from speaking, so the game has no spoken dialog at all, except when you’re given orders by your orb overseer.

Your job is to investigate crimes on behalf of the orb regime, but you eventually become embroiled in a resistance movement. You do this by using your M.A.D. portable computer to track suspects, retrace their movements to crime scenes, and gather clues and evidence. The graphics are particularly gory, at least as far as EGA can manage. The vibe is mostly grim and unsettling, punctuated by occasional goofy moments and silly arcade sequences that give the game a distinctive tone.

There was a sequel set in San Francisco released the following year, but the planned 3rd and 4th games were cancelled, leaving the series on a cliffhanger. Despite that, it’s an incredibly unique kind of adventure game, especially for the time, and worth a look from any fan of the genre.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Wow. The name of this game has definitely come up for me in the past, but I always assumed it was some gritty, realistic noir. Sounds like I was partly right!

Anyway, an adventure game with little to no dialogue is something you don’t see every day (does Dropsy count?), and the setting sounds pretty wild. Could be an interesting game to do!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Game Suggestions Manhunter: New York