Multiplayer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I’ve never played a multiplayer game of Doom, but I’d like to try. Perhaps we can organise something with the club?

Apparently Dosbox has IPX and modem emulation to make this happen: https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/connectivity

Who’s up for a game of online Doom?

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I’m in! We’ll just have to figure out how to link my 486 to the Internet. I assume I’ll have to use a second computer for tunneling IPX through the Internet…

toasty
    Participant
    Podcaster

Ooh, count me in!

voxel
    Participant

Thank you for the highly authentic LAN experience. Sorceress and I managed to ‘start’ a game but it turned out that we had different versions and so it quit out. But at least we know it should work in theory?

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Man, that was… not great, haha.

Let’s try again tomorrow.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

voxel is right though, it was authentic LAN feeling 😀

Maybe all the problem we had in our late 90’s LANs were not entirely due to our lack of technical understanding 😀

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Ok, we managed a successful multiplayer session yesterday with sorceress, toasty, dollarone and myself \o/

We played the first level of the first episode and despite notable difficulties it was actually quite fun! And congrats to sorceress for winning the game, with 11 frags 😀

The problem with this though, as kdrnic pointed out on IRC, is that Doom is not intended to played over the internet at all. It synchronises the game on each frame and waits until it’s full synced before moving on to the next frame. That means the framerate is effectively equal to the highest ping between any two players. As you can imagine, with members spanning across the globe, this leads to a less than ideal experience.

Nonetheless we got it to work and despite everything, it was also pretty fun. I had a big smile on my face the whole time, so well done everyone!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.