My experiance with X-COM, or how far have you gotten?

Home Forums Previous Months 31 – August 2019: UFO: Enemy Unknown My experiance with X-COM, or how far have you gotten?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Canageek
    Participant

I’ve been playing X-Com on and off for a few years. I think I first played it as a free demo of Terror From the Deep, then discovered the remake UFO: Alien Invasion, then got the original on GoG, and then got OpenXCom. However, I never get very far. I think the furthest I’ve gotten is shortly after I get psychic powers, then I get murdered while waiting a month to find out who is going to get taken over and murder everyone else. I’m not playing much right now, but I’m hoping more access to the wiki and advice will help. Plus, I’ll admit, I am going to turn on some of the options to make that stage of the game suck less in the OpenXCom options list. (That is, Psi-Strenth Evaluation, so you don’t have to send a small number into training for a month, fire most of them (or reserve them for fighting mutons), and get a new batch.) and Psionic training at any time (So you can start the training as soon as you get it, not just at the start of the month, though it will take the same total time.)

Anyway, how far have you gotten? Have you beaten it? Just starting to play it? Stalled out during the boring fight endless crashed aliens while waiting on research section?

Evil Taco
    Participant

I have beaten the original DOS version a few times, I believe at least twice without cheating. I’m not sure if I ever completed an OpenXcom run. It does become a bit of a slog towards the end. There’s two things I’ve found off-putting:

– Those endless crash missions, they do become boring
    – Psychic attacks out of nowhere

The first point – I’ve started thinking that maybe it is not obligatory to clear out every crash site. Once you have enough monthly points anyway (shooting down UFOs counts) and don’t need to discover tech etc, or don’t need elerium, etc etc, mayyybe it’s ok to not do every crash site.

The second point – maybe the psionic training stuff you mention helps to mitigate that, but by that point I’m usually pretty fatigued and find constant mind control attacks unfun.

Still the best game ever made.

don_amar
    Participant
    Podcaster

I read in another thread here that there’s a mod that makes the aliens unable to do psi attacks unless they have line of sight.

Evil Taco
    Participant

That’s true, that ships with OpenXcom.

don_amar
    Participant
    Podcaster

Sounds pretty good.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 31 – August 2019: UFO: Enemy Unknown My experiance with X-COM, or how far have you gotten?