One Must Fall: 2097

Home Forums Game Suggestions Accepted Suggestions One Must Fall: 2097

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• superjamie
    Participant

A genre I don’t think you’ve done yet is versus fighting games like Street Fighter 2 or Mortal Kombat.

The PC didn’t have many good fighting games, and infamously received a terrible port of SF2 and many rip-offs, but OMF: 2097 was excellent.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/one-must-fall-2097

In arcade mode it has you choose a character and a robot, and fight the other roster opponents like most other fighters.

In campaign mode, you start with your own character then earn money in multiple tournaments to improve your skills, upgrade your robot, and buy new robots. It’s got that same risk factor as in Death Rally, where you can have a fully-upgraded earlier robot, but buying a “better” robot also means you lose all your upgrades. I’ve finished this many times over the years and found the gameplay can get deep, as you found in Death Rally.

The music is also great, it’s by demoscene composer C.C.Catch (aka Kenny Chou) from group Renaissance.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’m usually not much into fighting games, so the fact that I’ve actually sunk a bit of time into this one speaks volumes for its quality.
    Definitely agree we should do this.

KewlioMZX
    Participant

It seems like Epic had a lot of help from the demoscene back in this day, also considering how Future Crew had a pretty heavy hand in Epic Pinball. But yes, OMF2097 is probably the best fighting game for DOS.

watchful
    Participant

Should this thread get marked ‘done’? Maybe moved to accepted suggestions?

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Ah yeah, for sure. Thanks!

We’re working on a new forum system to replace this one which should automate these sorts of things, but for now we’ll just have to keep doing it manually.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Accepted Suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Home Forums Game Suggestions Accepted Suggestions One Must Fall: 2097