Outlaws

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Just wondering if anyone has played the other game made with the Jedi engine, Outlaws?
    It looks kinda cool too (although the environments in the footage I saw looked a tad sparse), with the same great combo of objective based levels, action heavy gameplay and emphasis on story.
    It was also one of the earliest FPS games to use sniper zoom and reloading mechanics.
    However, as far as I know it was never released for DOS…

killershrew
    Participant

I played it back then and I recently revisited it. It didnt age as well as dark forces I’m afraid.

watchful
    Participant

Tried it a few months ago, and I’d agree it’s not as interesting. The environments are so spartan and there are some stylistic quirks like medpack proportions that make it hard to enjoy.

That said, the animated cutscenes and music were nice, though not using the dynamic iMuse system that Dark Forces had.

killershrew
    Participant

Agreed. I’m generally a fan of westerns. Outlaws has a lot of western troped but somehow misses the mark on capturing a western feeling. I wish it was playable in TFE so we could see how it felt with modern controls

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

I saw it on ebay recently. It wasn’t absurdly over-priced, but it wasn’t exactly cheap either.
    I think I’m glad I didn’t get it now.

f2bnp
    Participant

I’d heard about Outlaws for many years, usually people that played back in the day tended to wax poetic about it. I finally got the chance to play it back in 2020 or so. I have to say that while I wasn’t completely enamored with the game, I was fascinated in a few ways. First off I adore the score and the many Ennio Morricone motifs in it, as well as the phenomenal for the era cutscenes, an audio-visual treat and major upgrade over Full Throttle, The Dig and Dark Forces in the way they were animated and also much better compressed.

As far as the game goes, I felt it truly belonged in 1997. Vast open spaces with vertical traversal, similar to Jedi Knight at times. I enjoyed levels like that, those set in towns less so. I think Outlaws may have played great in multiplayer, there’s something to be said about its reload mechanic, I can see how it would have led to stressful moment-to-moment combat. I believe it’s also one of the first to implement scoped weapons in the way that it does.

Gripes? Well, ammo and health pickups can be a bit scarce at times and the enemies can take you down fairly easily. It’s really more a pop’n’shoot kind of FPS, you’re not expected to get far if you just rush things.

I had a good time with it overall, I’m sure I would have adored it at the time!

watchful
    Participant

BTW The Force Engine is planning to support Outlaws since its engine is based on DF. Though it’ll probably take a year or two before Outlaws is fully supported.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.