Rough guide to become a GPC master

Home Forums Previous Months 02 – April 2017: Grand Prix Circuit Rough guide to become a GPC master

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• AndriesW
    Participant
    Podcaster

MY ROUGH GUIDE TO BECOME A GPC MASTER

Choose Practice Game Mode – this is the game type for chasing that special very fast lap. The top 8 of best lap times is being recorded. Single Race Mode on the other hand registers the average lap time of a race. To check the score list without having to complete a lap or race first: choose the preferred Game Mode and push the key C when you have selected a circuit in the Track Selection screen.

Choose Difficulty Level 3 – this gives you the advantage of manual shifting and thus selecting the best gear at any time. Compared to level 4 of 5 you have a slightly lower risk of blowing up your engine. This can sometimes make the difference between having to shift up or lift the throttle just before a corner or being able to stick with the same gear until or into the corner and thereby avoiding extra gear shifts.

Choose the right car – the McLaren car has the highest top speed and the highest torque. This car clearly is the best choice on tracks with long straights, such as Italy. The Ferrari car on the other hand has the best handling. This car is the best choice on tracks with many (slow) corners, such as Monaco. The Ferrari is also the car to go with on Detroit and Britain, while Canada and Germany favour the McLaren. For Brazil the best choice eventually is the Ferrari but not by that much. And Japan? It’s a tie! The fastest lap ever (1.17,9; set by my younger brother) is driven in the Ferrari as well as in the McLaren. What about the Williams car? Well, it simply is not a record setting car.

General racing guidelines (real life racing and GPC)

– It’s better to go a little longer with a tempered speed than to go considerably down in speed but for a shorter time.
    – Try to go with the apex of a corner: the ideal line from the outside to the inside of the corner to the outside.
    – Adjust your driving and cornering to the characteristics of the car. For a fast car with compromised handling (in this case the McLaren): more breaking and down shifting and later turn-in with a slower speed. Accept the lower cornering speed but minimise the time off the throttle.
    For a slower car with superior handling (in this case the Ferrari): less breaking and down shifting and earlier turn-in with a higher speed. Minimise the drop in speed.
    – Corner combination: if necessary sacrifice the first corner in service of the second, in stead of the other way around. Or in other words: approach it as if it’s one corner. Avoid a double braking moment.
    – Being high in revs can help you to get a good corner entry. It may even be beneficial to shift down while approaching the corner (before the braking). But be aware not to blow up your engine!

Keyboard steering in Grand Prix Circuit

There are three main methods of steering: short tapping, pushing and medium tapping.

Short tapping is used in corners or bends with limited angle. This can result in racing without speed loss or with a slight speed loss either intented or unintended / unnecessary. Your succes depends on the correct timing of the taps in combination with the positioning of your car. Start tapping at the right moment and adjust the frequency and duration of your taps until you’ve got it right. You normally don’t lift the throttle while using this method of steering.

Pushing is used in sharp corners and is combined with braking. This is the most straightforward kind of steering. The challenge is to get the timing right, especially when driving the McLaren and coming from top speed. To reap the benefits of the superior acceleration of the McLaren, make sure you don’t have to brake or lift the throttle a second time before exiting the corner.

Medium tapping is the most difficult driving technic but very effective when driving the Ferrari. You tap the steering key only a few times but for a bit longer so that it’s more like short pushing. Simultaneously you may lift the throttle or hit the brakes shortly or just keep the throttle down.
    In a corner with an angle of about 90 degrees generally the first or second tap or push is the longest to overcome most of the angle.

In the end it’s a matter of much practising until you get a real feel for timing and for the right amount of steering, lifting and braking and gaining the skillfulness of perfectly combining all this.

AndriesW
    Participant
    Podcaster

This is what I have written this evening. I hope it helps. When I play GPC I can rely on my experience with the game and drive quite intuitively. Although high concentration is needed to be really fast. So it’s not that simple to translated it into words.

You can watch videos of some of my fastest laps on YouTube. And maybe I can record some racing with live commentary.
    Feel free to ask questions or ask for comments on your GPC race videos.

wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

Thanks for the detailed guide! In particular this advice should help me adjust my driving:

“It’s better to go a little longer with a tempered speed than to go considerably down in speed but for a shorter time.”

AndriesW
    Participant
    Podcaster

My pleasure!

The difference in my racing in the early years compared to later on and nowadays: I took more corners!
    When you are starting to master this game the number of real corners you are racing will drop. More and more corners will move up to the category ‘bended straights’.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 02 – April 2017: Grand Prix Circuit Rough guide to become a GPC master