Streaming DOS LAN Party?

Home Forums DOS Talk Streaming DOS LAN Party?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• tamsin.lm
    Participant

Would anyone be interested in doing a large scale virtual LAN party? I would probably say it be hosted/coordinated via Twitch?

The club has already gone over several games that either play online well via DOSBox or what have you, and for the loads of games that don’t play well, some have modern source ports like Doom and Duke3D that could work if folx don’t mind them being modern ports of old DOS games.

I was just thinking it could be fun to do a whole event. We could coordinate a variety of multiplayer games, show case mods or even new games folx are putting together, etc.

Just a big weekend long event sort of thing.

Not sure if this would appeal to folx.

sorceress
    Participant

I think it’s a nice idea, but there are often issues getting DOS games to play well online.

We had trouble with both Doom and C+C from what I remember. DOS games were not often designed to handle the latencies associated with the internet. This can make them unstable, glitchy or slow. Different software versions are often incompatible as well, and it’s not always clear what versions people have installed.

That said, it was pretty normal with LAN parties to spend 80% of the time getting stuff to work, so maybe figuring this stuff out is ok and all part of the experience 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums DOS Talk Streaming DOS LAN Party?