The first "survival horror" game I can remember… Ecstatica!

Home Forums Game Suggestions Accepted Suggestions The first "survival horror" game I can remember… Ecstatica!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Corgibuttz
    Participant
    Podcaster

Although I don’t think this game was any kind of secret, no one I have ever spoken to in real life has ever heard of this game!!

When I played it when I was 12 or 13 I just remember being super creeped out, and always on edge. I just thought of it as an adventure game, but looking back I’d wager a guess this is one of the first “survival horror” games right along w/ Alone in the Dark.

It has a truly unique aesthetic as the game uses “elipsoids” or some such name for using spherical shapes instead of polygons! Everything in the game is made out of stretched spheres This creates very organic looking character models w/ rounded edges when traditional polygon games were having much harder edges.

There’s no dialog in the game, your character simply stumbled upon a fantasy village which seemingly has everyone horrifically murdered (very gory, really drew me in and short of shocked me as a kid)

Through exploring the village and finding clues you figure out a plot line and can eventually free the village. It’s one of those “if you know exactly what you need to do you can beat it very quickly” games. Monsters ambush you out of no where and they really startle you. You need to fight them off and escape usually, some I don’t think can be killed.

Either way it’s a very unique experience for the time frame it was released (1994) and if we’re looking for a unique, obscure game to play I think this one would be a real treat!

LunarLoony
    Participant
    Podcaster

The screenshots look interesting. Looks like the graphics have been put together in a similar way to the Petz games, funnily enough…

Pseudo_C
    Participant
    Podcaster

Color me interested! I would love to play this in the club! The early horror stuff was great because they had to rely on mood and story to get under your skin.

+1

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Accepted Suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Home Forums Game Suggestions Accepted Suggestions The first "survival horror" game I can remember… Ecstatica!