The Settlers

Home Forums Game Suggestions The Settlers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• McKracken
    Participant

Hey,

I’d like to suggest the “The Settlers” series. “The Settlers” was released in 1993, “The Settlers 2” in 1996.

I mainly played “The Settlers 2” at the time and it was the very first, real-time city-building / economics game for me. It had great, cute graphics and animations for the time and it was super fun building up your own little economy while avoiding to get overrun by your enemies.

Settlers 1 and 2 were released for MS-DOS. The full series consists now of eight or nine games.

Heres a link to mobygames.com:
    https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/settlers-series

Attachments:

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

He, I remember playing Settlers 2 with a friend and two mice on one PC. It was blowing my mind to find out that would work!

McKracken
    Participant

Didn’t know that was possible in Settlers 2. I always played alone.

How did that work though? Was it a split screen game? Must have been weird with the low resolution at the time.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Yep! Vertically split screen. Resolution wasn’t too bad, settlers supported at least 640×480, maybe even more, I don’t remember exactly.

Da9
    Participant

I support this suggestion. Played Settlers 2 as a kid and still do. I recommend taking a look at http://www.siedler25.org so that you can adjust to a bigger resolution and even play online and keep the whole screen for yourself.
    Love this game

secretchief
    Participant

Settlers 1 had amazing gameplay music!

pointer
    Participant

Settlers 1 seems quaint now, but its “economic dependency tree” was really exceptional back then.

It was also very fun and satisfying to observe the little people perform activities specific to their role as they transformed resources into useful products.

Settlers 2 then improved on pretty much all aspects.

Evil Taco
    Participant

Settlers 1 also had that split-screen multiplayer and I played that with a friend, it was pretty special!

killershrew
    Participant

Yes. I am shocked The Settlers hasnt been played yet! We need to butcher those little piggies!

fastwinstondoom
    Participant

Here’s another bump for Settlers, preferably the second game. Some people prefer the third game, there might be some real old school dudes that swear by the first… but to me Settlers II is the when the series peaked!

Cas
    Participant

Hey! I would really love to see this one discussed in the podcast! I just posted a suggestion for it and didn’t realise it was already here!

fastwinstondoom
    Participant

Give us Settlers! Give us Settlers! Woooh! Wooooh!

nevice
    Participant

Another necro/bump for the Settlers! I actually recent re-played the 10th anniversary edition of Settlers 2, which is quite a nice remake. I remember buying the Gold Edition of Settlers 2 in the 90s, it had a pretty neat cut-out on the box art.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Game Suggestions The Settlers