Tips and Tricks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• LunarLoony
    Participant
    Podcaster

Jazz can be a bit of a tricky game to get through, so if you have any useful gameplay tips to help first-time players, share them below.

My recommendation: Jazz is a very fast little bunny. But he’s also a very short-sighted bunny (clearly doesn’t eat enough carrots). It might seem a bit tedious, but don’t go running everywhere at full speed – you’re very likely to run headlong into a turtle or something equally deadly.

Also, make sure you get as many Fastfires as you can! (The blue gun-shaped powerups) Collect those and you’ll increase your fire rate, but even just one will allow you to rapid-fire.

Use your other weapons! I’ve often gone through this game hoarding ammo, because the default Blaster has infinite ammo – no-brainer, right? The thing is, all of the other weapons have much bigger hitboxes and a higher velocity, making dealing with enemies a lot easier.

The Blaster does have one very good use, though: if you can rapid-fire, then it can act as a sort of ‘buffer’ if you’re running at full speed. Keep the fire button held down and you’ll mow down most enemies in your path.

dr_st
    Participant

Those are some good tips. Jazz was clearly an attempt to mimic the fast gameplay of Sonic on the PC, but where Sonic uses his own body as a weapon, Jazz has a very nice arsenal.

The downside of going through the game at blazing speed is you might not get to enjoy the pretty scenery of some of the levels.

Dreamkid
    Participant

For those who played through all the levels (or at least all of the second episode), how did you manage the second level of Orbitus (third planet)? I saw on youtube that players had to turn on slow motion, but I couldn’t get past those horrid bouncy floors even when I tried that. I’ve never been good at platformers, but this might be the worst experience I’ve ever had with any 2D platformer.

LunarLoony
    Participant
    Podcaster

“Play a different version of the game” is the answer to that. It works in some versions, doesn’t in others. There’s a separate thread detailing the version differences, but the upshot is: Epic managed to break it, fix it, and break it again.

The current GOG.com version apparently works, but I haven’t tested it myself.

dr_st
    Participant

I have two versions – 1.2 and 1.3 (GOG). I’m gonna have to remember to try this Orbitus thingy.

OK, according to the table on the page linked to in the version differences thread, my 1.2 is the ‘good’ one and my 1.3 GOG is patched. If you download the game from GOG.com nown you will get the patched version too -I confirmed it by comparing the file data.

Anyhow, this part is tricky but totally doable in patched 1.3. Might take a few attempts to figure out the timing. You should start holding the right direction key as you approach the bottom passage, and not let go of it until you are through. The bouncy floors will throw you upwards, but as long as you hould the button down, you should make it into the next gap.

In good 1.2 it is pretty much the same, except possibly a tad easier since there are invisible ‘cracks’ in the bouncy floors that Jazz just falls through.

I will try to record a video at some point, although I am sure many versions are already up on Youtube.

dr_st
    Participant

As promised, here is the video of this section in patched 1.3 (from GOG.com):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7MMKJcnB_g

And I could confirm (after locating an unpatched 1.3 ISO) that it is truly practically impossible in that version.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.