Ugh!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I think it’s cool if we have a thread per game, so I’m making those. I haven’t actually played Ugh! yet, so I can’t really comment on it, haha. But if you have thoughts on this game, share them in here!

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

It feels great to play this game again after so many years.

A few hints for new players:

The goal of the game is to transport a certain number of passengers from cave to cave without dying. You can die from a hard impact to a wall, or from lack of energy.

Energy is represented by the yellow “food” bar, in order to get more energy you have to pick up the stone (land on it without a passenger in the copter) and then throw it on the tree.

There are three types of passengers: a man, a woman and an old man. The only difference between the three is how long can they stay in water, an old man will drown immediately, a man can stay in the water for a while and the woman can swim for quite a while. If you land in water anywhere they will swim towards you.

Beware of the bird, it announces itself with a shriek.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Why do sometimes people don’t want to get into the taxi? I’ve had it a few times now that I land on a platform where people are waiting and just nothing happens?

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

You picked up the rock! You can only transport one thing at a time.
    The rock will actually show up near the speech bubble in the status bar. It’s hard to distinguish from the background, so you have to look closely.

You can drop the rock by pressing right ctrl. When you drop it onto the tree, it will also drop some fruit for your caveman (just make sure you don’t accidentally pick up the rock again).

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’ve spent quite a bit of this week working through every level of Ugh! I don’t want to have to say these words but it was definitely better on Amiga if only for the sound. It runs nice and smooth on PC anyway and kept me playing for a good few hours. I was arguably enjoying catching up on podcasts at the same time more than playing the game itself but it’s an easy game to relax into. It doesn’t have enough variety to it really, you’ve pretty much seen it all once you’ve done the first few levels. Weather gets introduced eventually with strong winds making flying extra tricky but it’s only used a handful of times. I did like the diving aspect that was in quite a few of the levels and the snoozing dinosaur that blows you around. It needed to introduce some more elements like this to vary it up.

I really dislike the menu and password system. It takes far too long to get back into the game every time you restart and the ambiguous font combined with misspelled passwords caught me out a few times. It even still plays the intro every single time so you always have to skip it. Minor niggles aside, it’s easily the third best game for me on the list after Lode Runner and Alleycat.

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

@Pix: Yeah, it seems that in many of these older games the developers must have had some special mode to skip animations or tested all levels with cheats.

I can only imagine that the beta-testers would go nuts had they had to wait for the animations to finish.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.