UK Magazine Reviews

Home Forums Previous Months 16 – May 2018: Death Rally UK Magazine Reviews

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

I thought I’d dig out and scan a few reviews of Death Rally for you guys. PC Gamer gave it a full page but the others aren’t exactly the most in-depth. Apparently Death Rally was released at budget price (around £20) so it got relegated to the back pages elsewhere. The PC Format review isn’t exactly favourable but they also pan The Pandora Directive on the same page which is one of my favourite games of all time.

DavidN
    Participant
    Podcaster

Thanks for scanning those! I grew up with PC games magazines and really miss the tone of humour they had in them, particularly the irreverence of PC Zone. I don’t think it’s a style that survived in the Internet age of game journalism 🙂

Interesting to see such a spread of scores, as well – I agree with the observation that the game isn’t really as edgy as it would like to be, it’s more like just an Apogee game that’s been allowed to stay up past its bedtime and is trying to be a bit darker without really knowing how.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Very cool, Richard!

HunterZ
    Participant

Cool, thanks for sharing these!

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

“Death Rally has the explosive power of a safety match”. Dawwwww. That’s mean. I guess you have to look at other games that were released the same year to understand that rating. After all, Monster Truck Madness and Mario Kart 64 were released around the same time and GTA just a bit later. Clearly each of these games have better driving physics and don’t feel so clunky when you brush an obstacle.

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

Carmageddon came out in February as well which would have been only a month or two after this review. UK magazines weren’t always the best place for a balanced opinion in the 90’s if you ask me. I guess I can see where the reviewer was coming from but it was only a budget game after all.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 16 – May 2018: Death Rally UK Magazine Reviews