X-TRA materials

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Evil Taco
    Participant

UFO: Enemy Unknown is genuinely my favourite video game ever. I was thinking of doing a couple of things this month (hopefully in addition to actually playing the original game):

* Re-read the book from Juho Kuorikoski about the history of the X-COM series, perhaps posting some interesting tidbits along the way (see attachment for the pic)
    * Finally play the 2012 game XCOM: Enemy Unknown and see how I feel about it

I was thinking of grabbing a copy of the original from GOG.com and seeing if I can transfer it to the 486, as it currently (inexplicably) doesn’t have it on the hard drive. But if I’ll actually play for real, I’ll probably play OpenXcom, as it’s the best version of the best game in the world.

Not hyped at all.

don_amar
    Participant
    Podcaster

Yeah, it’s an awesome game! I do actually prefer the sequel though. I’m playing the GOG version on my modern PC now, and I’m loving it. 🙂

I have also played the 2012 remake, and I actually think it’s pretty great, but it’s not the same as playing the original. 😉

Happy gaming, dude.

evilcommiedictator
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’m currently playing through the long war version of the 2012 game, good luck with your playthrough, Good Luck, Commander!
    (new XCOM 2 is a different style of tactical game, the time limits…..well….change it a bit)

Simon Ashtear
    Participant

X-COM 2: Terror From The Deep was actually my first exposure to the X-COM universe, and turn-based tactical games as a whole. Given how absurdly difficult it was to me, I’m surprised I maintained enough enthusiasm to investigate the rest of the series. But, boy, I’m glad I did! Finishing the original X-COM is one of my proudest gaming accomplishments.

X-COM 2 was also my first introduction to hex-editing. But- shhh… don’t tell anyone.

Evil Taco
    Participant

Hex editing! I do have to admit that on my first run through the game, I definitely hex-edited my troops to have superpowers, and also loaded a lot when they got killed.

Nowadays I find that taking the punches and considering when to cut losses and retreat is a much more fun way to play. But it is possible to enjoy this game in many ways..

A friend of mine played Terror From The Deep a lot as well, but I think I passed as I heard it had bigger maps that ended up being a bit exhausting, and also being a bit too difficult. The theme is pretty cool, though. I believe OpenXcom also has support for the sequel, and it sounds like it’ll benefit from a little modding even more than the original, so I plan to check it out eventually via OpenXcom.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.