The KDRNICIAN experience

Home Forums Previous Months 31 – August 2019: UFO: Enemy Unknown The KDRNICIAN experience

This topic contains 27 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  don_amar 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Evil Taco
    Evil Taco
    Participant

There’s so much stuff I haven’t been aware of despite first playing the game in 1996 or so, and that location reveal thing is such a thing. It’d be nice if the game / UI signaled some of that stuff. It makes sense to have a time limit, balance-wise, but I don’t think the game tells this at any point.

I just spoiled myself from the wiki for a really funny-sounding strategy against psionic enemies: give your troops low-powered weapons (such as regular pistols and rifles) and put them in good armour. That way, if they’re taken over, they can’t hurt each other. Psi-aliens themselves are squishy, so they can be killed with bullets.

The interesting bit about this strategy is that the psi-aliens’ “companions” (that show up in terror missions and bases etc) are very well armoured..

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

I enabled the mod which forces psi to require line of sight. I wished for a mod that just disabled the aforementioned “telepathy” when the last aliens remain or X turns have passed; but this should let the game continue enjoyable.

“female III” fell prey to this mission, in which I abused the laser rifles’ terrain destruction capability, laying lots of “suppressive fire”, very effective.

Evil Taco
    Evil Taco
    Participant

I have also enabled that mod. First time trying it out, but it should eliminate one of the annoyances I’ve had with the game in the past.

If it gets too easy, I’m sure there’s a more fun way to make it more challenging.

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

Had a successful night mission – no casualties on my side.

Seems no electro flare is too many.

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

Another night mission – no casualties.
    Lost my fear of the dark.

Canageek
    Canageek
    Participant

Actually, then they move on. The best defence is to have the troops with the weakest anti-alien defence drop their weapons and get enemies to use up their psi attacks on them.

yozy
    yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

One good strategy is to fire everybody with weak psi capabilities. In the end game psi is by far the most powerful weapon and your soldiers are much more capable with it than aliens.

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

I don’t think either keeping an useless unarmed soldier or just firing everyone after triaging is fun, so I will just keep the mod on.

Canageek
    Canageek
    Participant

Oh yeah, the mod is good, I might turn it on. Also a note: If you like destruction, you can hold control to override the no line of sight error, and just blast away at an alien inside a house on full auto. 😀

That strategy came from experience: They mind controlled someone who had already panicked and dropped their weapons and it made them a LOT less dangerous. After that, I kept them on stun launcher duty, so if they got taken over they would usually just knock people out.

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

oh! ctrl to override will be very useful!

don_amar
    Participant
    Podcaster

Another annoying thing about alien psi attacks is that if you kill the last alien on a turn where one of your soldiers is mind controlled, you lose that soldier. It can get pretty frustrating just waiting for the alien to fail a mind control attack so you can kill him on the next turn. But once you get psi soldiers yourself you are pretty much invincible.

Canageek
    Canageek
    Participant

There is an option in OpenXCom to change that. It is taken from a mod for the DOS version, as are a lot of the options.

don_amar
    Participant
    Podcaster

Good to know. I’m playing the GOG version, and I’ve almost finished it, so I’ll try the OpenXCom another time. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 31 – August 2019: UFO: Enemy Unknown The KDRNICIAN experience