red.hexapus

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 43 posts - 1 through 43 (of 43 total)

  • red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: This game stresses me out #12391

    I’ve been playing this recently and I had really enjoyed the acting, the interactions between characters and Tex’s witty comments, but I’ve just gotten to Day 7 and this part just completely killed my enthusiasm towards this game πŸ™

    It feels so tedious and stressful at the same time, I will probably just give it a break for now and try to come back to the game in a week or two.


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Recommended reading #12351

    Fully agree with that recommendation – “A Canticle for Leibowitz” is a great read and the Fallout’s Brotherhood of Steel took inspiration from the monk order of the book.

    I would also recommend to watch “A Boy and his Dog” from 1975, which gave the inspiration for underground Vaults everpresent in Fallout universe.

    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072730/

    And while you’re at it, why not also watch Kubrick’s “Dr Strangelove”, which I feel shares a lot of humour with the series ;P

    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Mouselook + WASD patch #12335

    Thanks for this @Tijn, this patch is a godsend.


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Abuse port (no FPS limit) #12319

    Awesome, downloading it right now, looking forward to playing frabs πŸ™‚


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Abuse port (no FPS limit) #12299

    Wow, I should have delayed replaying the game, I’ve just finished it today on version 1.0.5. Thanks for keeping Abuse alive, Metin πŸ™‚


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Legend of Kyrandia #12260

    @jan0sch feel the same as you do about the series: first was pretty, but mediocre; second was fantastic (has a cool protagonist too); third… I didn’t like though it had some interesting ideas going (different game paths).

    Also, as @CarlosTex mentions, Klepacki’s soundtrack is simply superb. It’s more awesome as I recall he was very young (17?) when he made it.


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Low Spoiler general advice #12239

    And here’s an exemplary shooter/diplomat build I’ve made, if you want to have a nice first run:

    https://nwcp.vercel.app/vault-dweller#CAFkVhYSlB2OIAA=

    Traits: Finesse, Gifted
    Tags: Small Guns, Energy Guns, Speech

    S 5 – enough for this char
    P 9 – higher hit chance
    E 6 – good HP + healing rate 2
    C 2 – dump stat
    I 9 – for talking and skill points
    A 10 – 10 Action Points what else to say
    L 6 – also ok, with finesse you have 11% crit chance

    Perks
    LV3: Awareness (lets you see enemy HP)
    LV6: Bonus Move (2 additional points to move)
    LV9: Better Criticals (roll better on crit table, you can outright kill some enemies when shooting the eyes.)
    LV12: Bonus Rate of Fire (1 AP cost reduction when shooting)
    LV15: Action Boy (even more AP)
    LV18 : Sniper (60% crit chance with luck 6)

    Pump Small Guns + Speech to 120,
    afterwards Energy (120), Barter (80) and Lockpick (80)
    First Aid, Science, Repair and Outdoorsman from books which you can buy/find


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Abuse port (no FPS limit) #12105

    @forslund I’ve finished the game in May, but I think the port you’ve posted is the one I’ve switched to eventually, because of the issues with the other one I’ve mentioned (mostly losing connection from controls, which made it very hard to finish some sections which required precise input)


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Magazine reviews #12068

    Here’s one from “1001 Video Games…” book.

    Attachments:

    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Tool-assisted speedrun #12025

    That’s awesome – looking forward to your updated run πŸ™‚


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Special Anniversary Episode + Top Game User Poll #11852

    Some great comments, thanks for these πŸ™‚ Top 5 from hosts/guests sounds good, I’m curious which games would be chosen and for what reasons. Focusing on the podcast itself and past also sound like a nice idea.


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Special Anniversary Episode + Top Game User Poll #11848

    Depends how Martijn and Florian would approach it, was thinking of hearing only them (as a callback to first episodes), but maybe voice messages with top 3?


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Educational Games #11734

    Nice idea, I would definitely like to check out some edutainment DOS games πŸ™‚


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: First impressions #11677

    Without spoiling anything, for me what gave me the most trouble were not the puzzles themselves but:
    a) not seeing an exit to somewhere (happened twice)
    b) missing a crucial item I could pick (also twice), even though I knew what needed to be done

    I wish these games had a highlight button to show all exits/interactable items, instead of pixel hunting.


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: D/Generation #11666

    D/Generation is nice, but hard. I remember I found it by accident, played it a bit but never finished, so i’d be glad to have a chance to replay it.


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Games OST’s #11664

    Nice choice of Legend of Kyrandia, second game’s soundtrack is also great (it’s Frank Klepacki, so not surprising)

    Off the top of my head, these are the ones I really enjoy:
    – Dreamweb (https://dreamweb-remastered.bandcamp.com/album/dreamweb-the-soundtrack-remastered-side-a)
    – Dune (https://stphanepicq.bandcamp.com/album/dune-spice-opera-2024-remaster-lp)
    – Star Control 2 (https://open.spotify.com/playlist/637nuVHQncHW2SKFxUGNNv)


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: WELCOME TO WINDOWS GAME CLUB #11662

    Keep us posted watchful, I’ll gladly listen to you discussing early Windows games, would have a few recommendations too πŸ™‚


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: WELCOME TO WINDOWS GAME CLUB #11625

    Haven’t listened to the episode yet (intend to do so over the Easter break), but it’s funny that Half Life is mentioned by Bruno the Bigfoot in this month’s DOS game (Sam & Max Hit the Road) πŸ™‚

    Was that intentional or just a funny coincidence?

    Attachments:

    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Star Trek: Borg 'The Ultimate Interactive Movie' #11361

    The game can be played online – some amazing person has remastered it and put for people to play for free.
    https://borgremastered.com/


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Return to the Roots + multiplayer #11284

    Yeah, I forgot to write, thanks for mentioning it. Nightlies are indeed the way to go with RttR.


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Another World (1991) #11176

    It’s a great game, one of the first that I’ve played on my PC. It’s not very long if you know what to do, but still quite enjoyable


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Universal Hint System #11174

    Really glad that you’ve found the UHS useful. I’m grateful to the people who set it up, as I found it a much better alternative to either giving up or checking out the walkthrough.


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Magazine Reviews #11172

    Here’s a two-page review taken from “The CRPG Book Project”. If you want to check out the book, here’s the link:
    https://crpgbook.wordpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/crpg-book-expanded-edition_4.0.pdf


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Finally, an excuse to play this #10938

    I remember playing CIV 1 a lot on my first PC, looking forward to replaying it after so many years.


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: BaK Help Web #10918

    I remember that I used the website when got stuck while replaying the game in 2024. Thanks for all your work in keeping it alive.


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: First impressions #10851

    I’ve finished it recently and I’ve much preferred the first part of the game (hunting for the items for the Cutifier), than the second one. The was a bit too much Moon Logic puzzles and pixel hunting for my taste.

    On the other hand, Christopher Lloyd’s acting and facial expressions were great (e.g. his reaction to the pitbull ballerina bowling scene.)


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Spooky October Suggestions thread #10643

    “The Legacy: Realm of Terror” πŸ™‚
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV28-iHbISU


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Fallout (1997) #10285

    Awesome news, looking forward to that πŸ™‚

    Also, on a related note, Tim Cain has a really interesting Youtube channel, where he talks about games he made and game design in general – highly recommended. Maybe he could be a guest on the show, he seems like a really nice guy.

    https://www.youtube.com/@CainOnGames


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: StΓ©phane Picq passed away #10284

    Oh wow, I didn’t realize this, such sad news πŸ™ RIP Stephane and thanks for all the great music you’ve made.


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Zork Anthology #10206

    Thanks, much appreciated, I also would not think to look for the game in the Zork collection.


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Fallout (1997) #10184

    +1 from me too. I’ve played it so many times over the years, I think I know it by heart now, yet I would still love to play it again.


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: I’m gonna play this one! #9592

    Groovy! πŸ™‚


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Which version to play? #9590

    I’d like to chime in and also say that I will be playing the EGA version, as I consider it superior to the VGA one. The graphics and dithering in this one done by Mark Ferrari is excellent.


    red.hexapus
    Participant

    The first PC I got was in 1996 – it was Pentium 60Mhz with 8MB RAM and 800MB HDD if i recall correctly. My cousin used to visit me and my brother from time to time (especially during summer), and every time he would bring with him some games on discs or CDs. That’s how we got The Settlers and Dune 2 and many other games. That’s also how we got to play Doom 2 for the first time, and that was something unique, even for 1996-1997. The first few levels, I think I know by heart, that’s how often I used to play them.

    I never did finish the game back in the day. I got to the last level (The Icon of Sin) when I was younger, I figured out what to do, but I could not for the life of mine aim the rockets into the forehead to kill the boss. So, I just NOCLIPed directly to the Romero’s head and finished the game this way.

    As for DOOM 1, it took me a few more years after DOOM 2 to get the hold of it, but at that time (late 90s/early 2000s) there were other game that occupied me (Starcraft, Fallout 1/2, BG 1/2), so I never played it much.

    Only a few days ago, I managed to finish both the games and beat the Icon of Sin the correct way πŸ™‚


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Brutal Heretic #9006

    Yeah, they are more spongy than in the original. I recall seeing a comment from the creator of the mod, than he made then so, because he recommends playing with a sequential mod (all episodes combined together). I still dislike how long it takes to kill them.


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: But… maybe Hexen too? #8985

    I too feel that Hexen should be a separate episode, as in my opinion it is a completely different beast from Heretic.

    Personally, I don’t like the linear nature of Heretic (the game feels to me like a fantasy reskin of Doom). On the other hand you have Hexen with great atmosphere, three distinct classes, hub area and lots of puzzles. And that’s something I do like πŸ™‚


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Wits, Fists or Team? #8527

    Yeah, just as Pix wrote above, the first puzzle in the game nudges you towards a certain path, but the actual choice comes up only at the end of Act 1 (after finding the Lost Dialogue of Plato). It’s good to save at this point and reload later on, if one wants to experience all of the paths. The three paths converge back into one at the start of Act 3 (Atlantis), so this Act does not have to be replayed (which I consider to be the worst part of the game).


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Best Way To Play? ScummVM, Steam, ExoDOS, OG hardware #8521

    Thanks for the version comparison video.

    On my side, I’ve played it in ScummVM using DOS CD version with “fakelottes” filter, and it worked just fine, no issues experienced.

    One additional thing that someone might find useful: I personally prefer to have dialogues both in Voice & Text mode instead of Voice Only, CTRL+T lets you change that.


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Unofficial “Special Edition” #8509

    I’ve looked at the screenshots at the website, but I feel that the transition to high quality has lost a lot of a original pixel art charm of the game.

    I’ve felt the same for Monkey Island (Remastered Special Edition vs VGA).


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Final Thoughts #8498

    It was nice to come back and replay WOLF3D during the past two weeks, since I haven’t played it since the mid-90s, and I only played the sharewere version (ep 1) back then.

    If I were to recommend it to someone new, who has not played the game before, I’d say to stick to the first 3 episodes and skip the Nocturnal missions (eps 4-6), which in my opinion were too difficult and definitely too labyrinthine.


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: What control scheme are you using? #8424

    Classic controls here. I’ve tried playing with a mouse, but the control feels awkward, so I’ve came back to keyboard only


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Control Tips #7962

    A few additional tips that might be useful for someone willing to pick up the game

    1. As mentioned, the keys can be remapped via Dosbox (CTRL+F1), that’s what I did for my version of the game

    2. Left hand is for weapons, right hand is for items to be used in puzzles (BTW,I suggest pressing F3 when you start the game, this way the game will not solve puzzles for you automatically, and force you to think which item to be put in your hand)

    3. Very important keys are I (inventory) and U (use). Before I found this I had trouble figuring out how to use potions.

    4. Keys 2-6 are shortcuts for weapons, which depend on the position of the weapon in inventory (first five slots)

    5. I have this issue in my copy of the game where mouse cursor is stuck in the upper left corner of the game. If this happens to you, I’ve found pressing F6 a few times helps the mouse get unstuck.


    red.hexapus
    Participant
    in reply to: Ross’s Game Dungeon #7951

    Great idea about reaching out to him, it would be nice to hear his thoughts on the game on the podcast πŸ™‚

Viewing 43 posts - 1 through 43 (of 43 total)